Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Politics & Current Events

Old 04-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #196
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster will become famous soon enough AccessBlaster will become famous soon enough
Re: Orlando Shootings

Quote:
What Weapon Did Cain Use to Kill Abel?
Some early interpreters specified that Cain used a stone to kill Abel (e.g., Jubilees 4:31: “He [Cain] killed Abel with a stone”).
Stones are a gateway device, they have led us all the way to nuclear bombs.

AccessBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:17 AM   #197
scott-atkinson
I'm with the Witch.......

scott-atkinson will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
My thought was that if you get rid of guns and folks resort to knife attacks, then you get rid of knives, they will resort to bats (baseball or cricket) and other sticks (hockey or just broom handles.) Eventually, EVERYTHING will be banned, and we will reach the stage of using our bare hands to get rid of someone. So will we then have to submit to amputations in order to get rid of bare hands?

People are going to kill whether we like that fact or not. They will find whatever way is both convenient AND sufficiently effective to get that job done. Which is why gun control does not work.
I don't understand your logic here, it is as if you are proclaiming that the majority of people have murderous tendancies..

Control of weapons would work if you ensured that the undesirable elements in society, you know the Murderous Tendancy ones, cannot get hold of a weapon, and yes anything could be used as a weapon, you are correct.. but many weapons with the exceptions of Guns are weapons that pretty much need to be used in close combat, ie looking into your victims eyes.. only the most physco would be able to do that..whereas with a Gun, you can hide in hotel room and shoot hundreds of people from a window and be completely detached from your crime...
Old 04-11-2018, 02:38 AM   #198
Steve R.
Retired

Steve R. will become famous soon enough Steve R. will become famous soon enough

Aide to NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio arrested; police cite loaded gun, 'odor of marijuana'

Quote:
A woman working in New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio's Office of Criminal Justice was arrested after police allegedly found a loaded handgun in a car she was a passenger in.

Police say they were responding to reports of gunfire Saturday night in the Queens borough of New York when they found Reagan Stevens, 42, sitting in the back seat of an SUV that was double-parked with two men sitting in front.

The officers noticed a "strong odor of marijuana" coming from the vehicle, which they proceeded to search, according to the New York Post. Inside they found a loaded 9mm handgun with the serial number removed and a spent shell casing.

According to CBS News, all three were arrested because no one in the car claimed possession of the handgun.
(emphasis added)

When you get down to it. Those who are politically inside the pro-control movement may themselves desire to illegally acquire guns despite their assumed disdain for owning such weapons and their public persona of being against the personal ownership of guns.

Last edited by Steve R.; 04-11-2018 at 03:35 AM.
Steve R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:30 AM   #199
Vassago
Administrator

Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R. View Post
Aide to NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio arrested; police cite loaded gun, 'odor of marijuana'

(emphasis added)

When you get down to it. Those who are politically inside the pro-control movement may themselves desire to illegally acquire guns despite their assumed disdain for owning such weapons and their public persona of being against the personal ownership of guns.
How do you know she was against personal ownership of guns or pro-control herself?

Also, being pro gun-control and being against personal ownership are entirely different things. The propaganda machine of "their coming for our guns" is old and tired. Wanting common sense gun laws doesn't mean anyone is trying to take away everyone's guns.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #200
Steve R.
Retired

Steve R. will become famous soon enough Steve R. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassago View Post
How do you know she was against personal ownership of guns or pro-control herself?
Unknown. Nevertheless, Mayor de Blasio’s administration has been publicly vocal concerning gun control. One can assume, maybe incorrectly, that members of his administration would be more or less in alignment with those policies.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:28 AM   #201
Brianwarnock
Retired

Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light

I have tried to stay away from this thread as over time it has become clear that the arguments of the anti gun control crowd have become ridiculous, even by obviously otherwise intelligent people.
will somebody please show me the definition where control = ban.

Brian

I do not have Access these days 2015
Brianwarnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #202
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R. View Post
Here is a better example.

Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:02 PM   #203
Dick7Access
Dick S

Dick7Access is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianwarnock View Post
I have tried to stay away from this thread as over time it has become clear that the arguments of the anti gun control crowd have become ridiculous, even by obviously otherwise intelligent people.

Brian
Did ban in UK start with ban, or did it start with control? Just asking. I don't know.

BTW:Brian I stayed away from this thread for just the same reason, but on the other side of the coin
Dick7Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:03 PM   #204
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,126 Times in 1,028 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott-atkinson
Control of weapons would work if you ensured that the undesirable elements in society, you know the Murderous Tendancy ones, cannot get hold of a weapon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianwarnock
You CAN'T ensure that the undesirable elements can't get a gun since those are the elements that thumb their noses at ANY laws standing their way. If someone wants a gun, they steal one from someone who legally has one. Using knives, lead pipes, or baseball bats on sleeping individuals whose household security isn't 100% impervious.

Therefore, one way to control the Murderous Tendency cases and prevent them from getting a gun illegally is to ban ALL guns and confiscate them so that none are exposed to theft. THAT is how 'control' becomes 'ban' in a heartbeat.

There are other ways to prevent these undesirables from getting guns. You COULD just start looking at folks to decide if they are undesirables and then lock them up on concentration camps or just outright kill them BEFORE they graduate to stealing guns. Of course, if you have an original thought that conflicts with current government policy, YOU become an undesirable. Hope you have that gun as a deterrent.

Seems to me that when Hitler ordered all privately held guns to be confiscated, it was because he didn't want people shooting back at the cops or military trying to arrest the non-Aryans. Which led to some pretty serious government atrocities because nobody was able to resist effectively when the folks that Hitler didn't desire got sent to concentration camps or death camps.

That actually happened starting a little over 75 years ago. Those who refuse to understand history are doomed to repeat it.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:26 PM   #205
NauticalGent
Pristine Curmudgeon
Gold Supporter

NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about

Some levity...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5D30CEAD-60A3-421F-8A32-628087234766.jpeg (57.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 04-16-2018, 07:50 AM   #206
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough

@ NG, down side is there are those who won't understand the reference. Of course for myself, Pink Floyd Dry isn't as good... :-)
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:00 AM   #207
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,493 Times in 1,465 Posts
Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about

@NG
Dial the combination, open the priest hole
And if I'm in I'll tell you (what's behind the wall)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minty For This Useful Post:
NauticalGent (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 10:55 AM   #208
NauticalGent
Pristine Curmudgeon
Gold Supporter

NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about

Doesn’t surprise me you two “got it”
Old 04-17-2018, 12:32 PM   #209
Dick7Access
Dick S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick7Access View Post
Did ban in UK start with ban, or did it start with control? Just asking. I don't know.

BTW:Brian I stayed away from this thread for just the same reason, but on the other side of the coin
Since no one has come forward with an answer to my ban/control question is probably a good bet control came first. So my next question are stun guns banded in UK? Just asking, I don't know. https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/ma.../17/id/854984/
Old 04-21-2018, 06:59 AM   #210
Dick7Access
Dick S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick7Access View Post
Since no one has come forward with an answer to my ban/control question is probably a good bet control came first. So my next question are stun guns banded in UK? Just asking, I don't know. https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/ma.../17/id/854984/
The silence is deafening!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: