Any issue with leaving a .ACCDE running all the time? (1 Viewer)

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Today, 00:59
I have an application that I've been running through Windows scheduler, which looks at our local db, then query's results of new events it then throws up on our google calendar.

I'm going to be making a few revisions to how it works, and just realized it may be beneficial to let it run 24/7, and set it up with a timer, based on certain options an admin can change.

Any pitfalls to running an access app all the time? Ideally, this will reside and run on our server (2012). I can add it to the startup suite so it restarts after scheduled events.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
...and just realized it may be beneficial to let it run 24/7...
I would not likely leave an Access app running with an enabled timer. I don't know this for sure, but I think that would be a resource hog. You can test this by opening task manager, and starting your Access app and seeing how much memory and CPU time is consumed, but keep in mind--even if it is just a little bit--you'll still use way less resources if you start the app using a Windows Scheduled Task, and then just shut it down right away when your task is completed. And it's so easy to log every time it runs. And so easy to change the schedule in Windows Scheduler. And Windows can run it hidden. That's the route I would take.
hth
Mark

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Thanks Mark.

I've had some trouble with Windows Scheduled Task, like when I log off for the day and it won't run at night. (It's currently on my work computer). Maybe this problem would disappear If I move the task to the server.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:59
It is probably security settings that are keeping the Access app from running while you are logged out. You should be able to fix that but it is far better to run the app on the Server if you can get the IT folks to go along with the plan. Access MUST be installed on the server to run the app there.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:59
If your IT people make you log out when you leave or put a logout timer on your workstation after X idle minutes, where X invariably equals "too short for my purposes", then your problem is getting the scheduler to run something as YOU (possible but some IT shops won't allow it) or as SYSTEM (IT will allow it but you have to grant permissions to your app for user SYSTEM).

Leaving a system logged in and leaving an app running is always possible but rarely advisable, given the massive security hole implied by that situation. Which is why IT shops make you log out if you forget.

Getting the app to run on the server is possible, but your IT folks have to be on board as Pat said, and you probably would have to face the security issues for SYSTEM to have the proper rights for your setup.

In case you were wondering, SYSTEM usually has rights only on the Windows system folders. If there is a "D" drive local to a server or workstation, SYSTEM account might not have particular access privileges at all. It is usually 'administrator' or 'xadmin' or some such name that has permissions for everything.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I had an app that ran nightly from a department computer. The computer was always left on but locked. Windows scheduler ran a batch file to open the Access app. I am not at the client site so I cannot examine the settings but it worked fine except if there was a network blip. The drives didn't seem to connect properly so we had to create a log that people had to check each day to find out if the job ran.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:59
It might be worth considering running it as a Service. This means nobody has to be logged in and it can be configured to automatically restart if it stops.

Here is one article about running programs as a service.

The tool it suggests is one of several available. I haven't used one since a decade ago when I ran Mercury Mail Server under FireDaemon (both were free programs back then).

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I don't like leaving the accde running all the time. I am also not certain that will solve the problem I experienced with the network drives not reconnecting. That may be a timing issue and they only reconnect when someone logs in. You might fix the linked tables by using UNC notation to link to them but you would also have to use UNC for ANY file reference in the code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom