replies adding extra line breaks when posted (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 16:42
I'm noticing this in every reply I make to a thread. when posting a reply for this first only, single line breaks in the message turn into 2 line breaks when the message is posted. for instance, in this message I am only including 1 line break below:

There should only be 1 line break above this text, but there are 2 after posting. help Jon?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 21:42
That's normal for posts written in Word/Notepad then copied to here.
It happens with several forums I use. I just remove the extra line breaks

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
dog,

I never copy text from another program into here. I always type my messages into the box on the reply page directly. another issue with my stupid browsers?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It doesn't happen for me with FireFox. I don't recall it happening when I still used IE, but I must admit that has been a while.

This line is preceded by a single ENTER key.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yeah, but if you notice, mine didn't have two lines. It was single-spaced.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Richard, this might be something wrong as well. If I write this:
My comment....
[ code ]
code here
[ /code ]
it comes out like this:
My comment....

Code:
code here
but if I write this:
My comment....[ code ]code here[ /code ]
it comes out like this:
My comment....
Code:
code here

how screwed up is this? :rolleyes: another goodie too....I just got 3 messages at once from Tony, all sent at the same time all saying the same thing. and the site is setup to where we're required to wait 60 seconds between sending private messages.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
guys,

has Jon looked into this? this happens to me in every single browser, FF/CHROME/IE. is it a bug? or is it just marginal for him to consider fixing?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Or is it a configuration issue with the way you set up your browsers? I don't have the problem on FF.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Or is it a configuration issue with the way you set up your browsers? I don't have the problem on FF.
what in the world could that config setting be richard? I don't change anything in the settings menu in FF or CHROME except basic stuff. download location, block popups, default search engines, etc...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Can't tell you because I can't reproduce the problem.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 17:42
I use FF and have the same experience, but not on another forum. I just figured it's a forum thing - because the html generator behind the forum UI has to create code for the web page. I explained what I figured is going on in some other cooler thread; basically as

'Return key generates <P> so 2x = <P><P> which is 2 paragraphs, not 2 line breaks.
'Return + SHIFT = <br> so 2x that = <br><br> which is equal to 1 <P>.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I use FF and have the same experience, but not on another forum
exactly. I do not have this problem happening on any other forum besides this one. and I post questions on at least 6 other forums besides this one.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 17:42
exactly. I do not have this problem happening on any other forum besides this one. and I post questions on at least 6 other forums besides this one.
Personally, I think you're looking at it the wrong way because it's not a problem, it's a behaviour. Say you often had to borrow a truck but you didn't like the way its radio functioned compared to your car radio. Would you say that behaviour is a problem? Would you not just adapt because you don't foresee any change being made to accommodate your preference?

I don't care for the way this forum's UI places the cursor outside of the quote or code tags when I add them. Other forums automatically place the cursor inside, allowing you to just paste rather than having to click in between the tags first. It's a minor inconvenience, same as having to remember how to get a paragraph vs a line break here, but it's not a problem.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Personally, I think you're looking at it the wrong way because it's not a problem, it's a behaviour. Say you often had to borrow a truck but you didn't like the way its radio functioned compared to your car radio. Would you say that behaviour is a problem? Would you not just adapt because you don't foresee any change being made to accommodate your preference?

I don't care for the way this forum's UI places the cursor outside of the quote or code tags when I add them. Other forums automatically place the cursor inside, allowing you to just paste rather than having to click in between the tags first. It's a minor inconvenience, same as having to remember how to get a paragraph vs a line break here, but it's not a problem.
i think i already said that i do not care if Jon fixes this or not, but if he's not busy or bored someday, why wouldn't he look into it?

This is the same little annoyance as that stupid timeout issue I'm having. It's worth a mention, but if no one looks at it, it's not the end of the world.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Let me try. Line one.
Line two after pressing return once.

Line three after pressing return twice.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Let me try. Line one.
Line two after pressing return once.

Line three after pressing return twice.
it also happens for us with the < code > and < quote > tags Jon. If it's not a problem for you, it's possible it's an issue with American-based technology. heck I don't know! something with windows 10? I've had numerous issues with windows 10 so far and i've only had it 3 weeks! I had to post on MS's forums to get that stupid stuff solved.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Ok, it is behaving fine for me using Chrome on my iMac.

If it happens on every browser for @vba_php, could this suggest that it is a problem specific to @vba_php, if others are not having this issue? i.e. could it be an ISP caching issue or whatever?

My test in the post above says it is working as expected for me.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Jon,
It happened to me a good while back, and then it stopped just as quick as it started. :confused:
No idea as to why, was not really concerned about it, though I did ask only once about it, and left it at that. :D

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
could it be an ISP caching issue or whatever?
Jon,

my ISP sucks terribly. everybody in my area knows that. I had a mod on the forum DreaminCode.com tell me that my ip address was showing differently when posting a thread and through PM's with him. There's nothing I can do, as the morons at level 1 of my ISP will have no idea what I'm talking about. so better just to leave it be...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom