Upcoming games (1 Viewer)

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 05:30
Upcoming games, now that I'm home, lessee....

World of Warcraft has an interesting new expansion coming out. Unfortunately, I haven't played in several years and get bored of the grind ridiculously quickly.

Cyberpunk 2077 looks damned interesting, but that won't be out until at least next year.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 02:30
@ Frothingslosh,

In Fallout 4, do you wish there was an option for you to win as the Railroad by taking over the institute? For some reason, getting rid of the institute seems... off... for a pro-synth faction. Why destroy the only place synths come from if you wish them to be liberated? Why not gain control instead? Synths can't reproduce on their own.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
I think the Railroad is supposed to have a touch of fanatic, and they see the Institute less as the people creating the synths than as the monsters creating and then enslaving synthetic life forms. And there's nothing saying that no one else will be able to recreate the process to create more synths, especially as technology once again begins advancing in a more widespread manner.

Anyway, myself, every run I've done to date has included some version of this image:

It's quite possible that every future playthrough will as well. You probably know me well enough to guess my feelings on the matter. (For the record, my personal preference is to side with the Minutemen, but Railroad would be my next choice. I just think the Minutemen do more good for more people in the long run. The Brotherhood are RIGHT out.)

Attachments

• Institute.jpg
    Institute.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 363

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
That, by the way, was taken on my first playthrough.

Mark_

Local time
My first was as Railroad. At the time, I hadn't realized just how... limited.. the faction is. The minutemen are much closer to my personal preference, but it does take me being the driving force for them to actually be more than just "Lets keep the raiders at bay" and more of "Lets get an actual economy going".

BoS and Institute are both examples of "Good idea gone horribly, horribly wrong". Both are of the opinion they are entitled to monopolize tech and both are adamant at removing anyone who disagrees. I tried doing a "Win" as institute, but you can't actually make any changes even though your the "Director". Really unsatisfying.

Right now trying a win as BoS, just to see if I can have any influence to get them to help the people, not just take tech. Up side they do include raiders in their list of "Enemies". So far that's about it.

I also tried going through Nuka-World as "Overboss", but really didn't feel right and became unfun pretty quickly. Once more, no chance to do what you'd do in real life to make the situation more to your liking.

In all, I'd love to find a mod that turns at least one faction into something I'd really support.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Well, the Minutemen, from what I've gathered talking to Garvey and others, really were just founded as a militia, not a government. The Railroad is a direct expy of the Civil War era Underground Railroad, so it'll never actually be a government. The Brotherhood has no interest in dealing with outsiders; they just want to make sure no one else gets tech. And the Institute wants a lab, not a nation.

Basically, none of the factions is something that would be likely to turn into a true central government. Diamond City would be the best place for an actual government to start, except for their isolationist tendencies. Admittedly, communities in the wasteland pretty much need to be at least somewhat isolationist or they get overrun, but sooner or later, both in reality and Fallout, successful cities start pacifying the countryside, if only for self-defense.

And yeah, I just couldn't get into being the Overboss of the raiders in Nuka World. And a Boston area where the raiders literally conquered the entire region would probably be extremely unpleasant...and quite historically accurate, if you compare it to human history in general. Nations don't usually get founded by nice people.

Last edited:

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Upcoming games, now that I'm home, lessee....

World of Warcraft has an interesting new expansion coming out. Unfortunately, I haven't played in several years and get bored of the grind ridiculously quickly.

Cyberpunk 2077 looks damned interesting, but that won't be out until at least next year.

I could never get into World of Warcraft even though I loved Warcraft 1-3. I think I lost interest in MMO games a long time ago and have only recently started to appreciate them again now that I have a girlfriend that plays them with me. :D

I do love Destiny though. I'm looking forward to Forsaken when it's released.

I was really looking forward to the up-scaled and redone Defiance 2055, but we have been having glitching and connectivity issues since it came out that make it unplayable. It's a pity because I loved the show and the original game was fun, but also equally glitchy.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
A lot of my friends play WoW, so I'm always getting asked to come back. The last time I played was in Pandaria (3 expansions back), so I'd have an awful lot of catching up to do before the new expansion goes live in a couple weeks.

Destiny looks neat, but it's a FPS and I am TERRIBLE at those. Overwatch is kind of cool, but even there I get sick of being everybody's bitch.

Vassago

Local time
A lot of my friends play WoW, so I'm always getting asked to come back. The last time I played was in Pandaria (3 expansions back), so I'd have an awful lot of catching up to do before the new expansion goes live in a couple weeks.

Destiny looks neat, but it's a FPS and I am TERRIBLE at those. Overwatch is kind of cool, but even there I get sick of being everybody's bitch.

I was never good at FPS games and never really cared for them, especially in PVP mode, until I started playing Borderlands. I found I enjoyed that enough and learned enough to get me by in other games. Now I'm decent enough to hold my own in PvP on Destiny, though I still don't prefer PvP. I only do it for powerful gear each week as a milestone. :cool:

I have absolutely NO interest in PvP only games without any plot or story campaign. I play games for the story. Overwatch just doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Mark_

Local time
I'll second "Story first" for games. If ALL you are doing is running around shooting things, it get boring quick. Even worse is when you have "Team" games and you can't control which team you are on. Got sick of World of Tanks for that really quickly.

Vassago

Local time
I get the appeal, but after a while, you don't have anything to work toward. What are you even playing for? There comes a time when the game just gets old.

Mark_

Local time
@Frothingslosh,

Finally got myself to finish the game as BoS. I'm firmly convinced they are less ethical than the Institute. Their actions and missions are much closer to what one would expect from the Soviets under Stalin than a group actually dedicated to helping people. It is pretty disturbing when you think through the ethics of their actions. It is something I will not be doing again.

Is it sad when you find a group you like less than the Nukaworld Raiders?

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
LOL

I found the raiders to be worse, personally, but I've definitely also always really disliked the traditional BoS, and I think it's a crying shame that they've rejected the lessons they learned travelling across the continent.

Vassago - I've always preferred 'sandbox' MMORPG's like EVE Online specifically because the stories in 'amusement park' type ones always get old and devolve into doing the same old, same old. At least with EVE, the other players being your endgame made it stay interesting.

Mark_

Local time
@ Frothingslosh,

I take it you haven't run through the BoS story line then? You get sent to kill Danse, you get sent to kill the Railroad. You get a reason that is less ethical than just "We wanna grab their stuff" in both cases. Plus I hate how they want you to kill the kid.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Oh, I find the whole 'ra**, pillage, and enslave' thing the raiders have going to be somewhat more offensive than the BoS. Raiders are into a lot worse than 'we wanna grab their stuff', and I guarantee you most of them wouldn't think twice about killing a human kid, much less a synth one.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Also, I can't find it now, but I once found this YouTube video about why killing Shaun is the only ethical approach. Basically, it hinges on how the real Shaun never saw synths as anything other than machines, how utterly out of character it would be for him to want a child synth to be raised as a human, and how amazingly dangerous a synth sleeper agent brought up as a human could actually be. Especially how even as a child, Synth!Shaun loves to build weapons and weapon mods.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:30
When it comes to the Battle Tech universe, I have some fun memories of a variant thereof. I was introduced to robot warfare in Mech Warrior 2, which I liked a lot. But my little grandson LOVED it. He learned to play computer games on his grandpa's knee, with that pudgy little fist barely managing to hold on to a fat joystick. But he got to be a good shot with it. However, I found quickly that I needed the "infinite ammo" cheat code. Aiming, he learned fast. Ammo conservation? Not so much. Little T was often heard to say "Paw Paw, T play BOOM." Because any computer game involving explosions was a "Boom" to him. And I always knew which one he wanted.

My SECOND grandson has taken over my computer to play Fallout 4 and a few other games that tickle his fancy. I have to get my gaming done in the mornings because when we pick him up after school, he RACES through the homework because our deal is "no computer time until the homework is done."

I have some peace of mind with Skyrim because I have no competition issues. Little Mister A doesn't care for sword-and-sorcery FPS games. He's like his big brother T, who was a big-loud-guns person through and through.

Mark_

Local time
'ra**, pillage, and enslave' is horrible.
Then again only the BoS is shown as actively committing genocide. Their stated objectives include killing all super mutants and all ghouls. They also decided to kill everyone in the Railroad only because they helped synths escape the commonwealth.

They do seem to indulge in both pillage and enslavement though. They don't call you a 'slave', they just demand that you provide resources... or else. Rather like the Soviet Union under Stalin. You are free to do what ever your masters say you can do.

Only thing going for them is BoS isn't into torture like the Disciples are.

On the plus side now I get to start a new game and try out Sim Settlement! This time around I'll do Minutemen as my preferred faction.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:30
I always had trouble with the ra**, pillage, kill crowd. But then, I've seen SOME gamers who could not be mistaken for being the sharpest knife in the drawer. For them the mantra should be "ra** THEN Pilliage THEN Kill."

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
"If they take the ship, they'll ra** us to death, eat our flesh, and sew our skins into their clothing. And, if we're very, very lucky, they'll do it in that order."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom