Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Forms

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Kubalism
Newly Registered User

Kubalism is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Incident Tracker - Cannot add record: join key of table "tblIncident Info" not in rec

Hi guys,

I've managed to start a few tables, a log in form and a little flash screen. I then created a form that will serve us a fill-up form.

But when I tried to input data to my "Location of Incident, Time, Date , Narrative and Resolution fields it doesn't allow me to and displays an Error message saying Cannot add record; join key of table "tblIncident Info" not in recordset.

To what I see, I think I mess up with my relationships. Or I don't know.

I would be willing to provide a link to my relationships field but i'm still not allowed to do so. I've already check the post by Nano but to no avail I can't find the solution to my problem there.

Hope someone can help me with this.

EDIT:

What i want to do is that there would only be ONLY one Form with tabs and that a user will just input the data on the fields provided. Is that advisable? Or would it be better if there are multiple forms?

I also already did several revisions and now on this current one I've decided to use a design concept from databaseanswers since it's closely the same design to what i have in mind.

I will post a zip file of my db later.

Last edited by Kubalism; 07-04-2012 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Small Changes
Kubalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
GinaWhipp
AWF VIP

GinaWhipp will become famous soon enough GinaWhipp will become famous soon enough
Re: Incident Tracker

Can you post the Recordset of the form and how those tables are related to each other?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GinaWhipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
boblarson
Smeghead

Thanked 1,810 Times in 1,573 Posts
boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold

Instead of posting posts just to reach 10, have you read this:
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...d.php?t=212125

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
boblarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Kubalism
Newly Registered User

Good day!

@Gina

Hello,

Please see attached DB.
Thanks

@boblarson

I've already seen that post sir, but in my office, zip files are not allowed because of security purposes.

Got a question sir, as to what I stated above, is my case similar to Nano? Because I've tried reading the entire thread of Nano but I can't seem to find a solution or maybe I just fail to spot it.

Regards,

EDIT:

I tried separating the fields to another table and then linking to the main table. Good news is that it allows me to enter value, bad news is when I open the form it will show an enter paramater value box.

I also noticed that when I open my DB on another PC, the fields on my form dissapears.

EDIT:

Please see attached db.
Attached Files
File Type: accdb Tracker 2.accdb (1.75 MB, 96 views)

Last edited by Kubalism; 07-04-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
boblarson
Smeghead

boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold

Immediately upon opening the database I can see your problem with this form. You can't have a query like this for it:

It should actually be like this:

You should have the other tables (most of them) as SUBFORMS on each tab.
Attached Images
File Type: png Kubalism01.png (36.9 KB, 393 views)
File Type: png Kubalism02.png (20.9 KB, 375 views)

Old 07-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
Kubalism
Newly Registered User

Thanks for the swift reply sir.

Got a question.

What are the things that I should change and are my relationships fine? or could it be better ?

I'm really confused since this is my first time making this kind of database.

Please help me improve my database because I really need it for our new site.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
boblarson
Smeghead

I did forget to mention that your table structure has a few changes that should be made.

First off, the Employee and Employee Superior should be in the same table like you have. You shouldn't have the Superior Info as a separate table. They are both employees, but except for the very top guy, they all would have a superior. So, we should end up with this:

Attached Images
File Type: png Kubalism03.png (39.5 KB, 435 views)

Old 07-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
Kubalism
Newly Registered User

I made another table for superior sir because I want to show that a single superior could have many employee and that a superior could have another ID.

By changing the tables, wouldn't that have an effect to my database?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
boblarson
Smeghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubalism View Post
I made another table for superior sir because I want to show that a single superior could have many employee and that a superior could have another ID.

By changing the tables, wouldn't that have an effect to my database?
Is the superior an employee? Yes, they are. So they belong in the employees table. You have superiorID in the employees table to identify who that employee's superior is. So you put an employeeID in that superiorID field by having a combo box which has the list of employees to choose from so you can choose which superior is that employee's superior. Does that make sense? There is no need for a superior's table because you can use a query to get which employees are under that superior.

Last edited by boblarson; 07-04-2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 07-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #10
GinaWhipp
AWF VIP

GinaWhipp will become famous soon enough GinaWhipp will become famous soon enough

Well, I see you are in capable hands so I'll just move along...

GinaWhipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
boblarson
Smeghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaWhipp View Post
Well, I see you are in capable hands so I'll just move along...
Hey, join in. It's quite alright by me.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #12
Kubalism
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblarson View Post
Is the superior an employee? Yes, they are. So they belong in the employees table. You have superiorID in the employees table to identify who that employee's superior is. So you put an employeeID in that superiorID field by having a combo box which has the list of employees to choose from so you can choose which superior is that employee's superior. Does that make sense? There is no need for a superior's table because you can use a query to get which employees are under that superior.
Sir,

What if employee A is transferred to another Superior, so I need to requery it?

Is this right?

please see image.

P.S

Sir, would it be possible that you can revise the db and post it here? please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Revised.jpg (96.2 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by Kubalism; 07-04-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #13
boblarson
Smeghead

You do not use lookups like that at table level (you shouldn't use lookups at table level anyway - see here for why: http://www.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm)

See the attached sample I created for you so you could see only the employees/superiors and how that would work. I included a form for entry and a query for viewing how it relates and how you use a second instance of the employees table to get the supervisor value.
Attached Files
File Type: mdb EmployeesAndSupervisor.mdb (340.0 KB, 90 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to boblarson For This Useful Post:
Kubalism (07-04-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #14
Kubalism
Newly Registered User

Great sample.

Got a question. What is that on the relationship field there are tables that i dont see on navigation pane ? Does that table name suppose to hide it from the navigation pane?
Old 07-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #15
boblarson
Smeghead

Are you talking about tblEmployees_1? If so, it isn't another table. It is just the same employees table added into the query TWICE. Once to get the employee information and the second instance (tbl_Employees_1) is for getting the supervisor information.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: