Export All Database Objects Into Text Files (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:07
The ExportDatabaseObjects() function will allow you to export all of your database objects into individual text files for each object [tables, forms, queries, macros, modules]. You can specify where the text files will be exported to by changing the sExportLocation string to a valid path. The Application.SaveAsText method is another undocumented Access option. The exported text files contain everything [properties, VBA, data, etc.] about the object. Similar to the Access documenter but better and this allows you to export the objects and then import them into the same database or any other database of your choosing. You can reverse the method and import [an exported] a text object by switching the Application.SaveAsText with Application.LoadFromText. The ExportDatabaseObjects() function can be used as an alternative method to back up your database objects.

Code:
Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

Public Sub ExportDatabaseObjects()
On Error GoTo Err_ExportDatabaseObjects

Dim db As Database
    'Dim db As DAO.Database
    Dim td As TableDef
    Dim d As Document
    Dim c As Container
    Dim i As Integer
    Dim sExportLocation As String

Set db = CurrentDb()

sExportLocation = "C:\Temp\" 'Do not forget the closing back slash! ie: C:\Temp\

For Each td In db.TableDefs 'Tables
        If Left(td.Name, 4) <> "MSys" Then
            DoCmd.TransferText acExportDelim, , td.Name, sExportLocation & "Table_" & td.Name & ".txt", True
        End If
    Next td

Set c = db.Containers("Forms")
    For Each d In c.Documents
        Application.SaveAsText acForm, d.Name, sExportLocation & "Form_" & d.Name & ".txt"
    Next d

Set c = db.Containers("Reports")
        Application.SaveAsText acReport, d.Name, sExportLocation & "Report_" & d.Name & ".txt"
    Next d

Set c = db.Containers("Scripts")
        Application.SaveAsText acMacro, d.Name, sExportLocation & "Macro_" & d.Name & ".txt"
    Next d

Set c = db.Containers("Modules")
        Application.SaveAsText acModule, d.Name, sExportLocation & "Module_" & d.Name & ".txt"
    Next d

For i = 0 To db.QueryDefs.Count - 1
        Application.SaveAsText acQuery, db.QueryDefs(i).Name, sExportLocation & "Query_" & db.QueryDefs(i).Name & ".txt"
    Next i

Set db = Nothing
    Set c = Nothing

MsgBox "All database objects have been exported as a text file to " & sExportLocation, vbInformation

Exit_ExportDatabaseObjects:
    Exit Sub

Err_ExportDatabaseObjects:
    MsgBox Err.Number & " - " & Err.Description
    Resume Exit_ExportDatabaseObjects

End Sub
This is how you import a text file that was exported using the Application.SaveAsText method...
Code:
Application.LoadFromText acForm, "YourFormName", "C:\Temp\Form_frmTest.txt"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom