The CD soon to Disapear into Oblivion (1 Viewer)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:09
My oldest piece tech is a pair of BOSE 301 SERIES II speakers. And the Techniques receiver, that came with it

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:09
Many years ago, Technics was into all sorts of things. I have a Technics F-5 console organ (two x 61-note keyboards, one x 25-note pedalboard) that meets MIDI standards. Still sounds great decades after Technics got out of that line of business.

I have heard but have not recently seen evidence of Technics still being in the portable keyboard business. If their quality is anything like the quality of the F-5, it would be one heck of a keyboard for a rock band.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...YvcAhVMyoMKHSl0CFMQMwg1KAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 15:09
Man, I have moved something like 40 times in my life, including from MI to St. Louis to MI to DC to WA to MI. At most, I had a van to move stuff with, so not a lot has been carried around with me.

Unless you count CDs, the oldest piece of tech I own would be my previous cell phone, which I bought in 2010. (My oldest CD is probably a video game CD from around 1998 or so.)

Hell, the oldest thing I own is a photo of my mother from 1970.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
And I bet the system still sounds great.
Yeah the Bose bookshelf 301's are still cranking, but the one I really wanted but could never afford were the Bose 901's 1980 vintage. Those are some sweet speakers.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Many years ago, Technics was into all sorts of things. I have a Technics F-5 console organ (two x 61-note keyboards, one x 25-note pedalboard) that meets MIDI standards. Still sounds great decades after Technics got out of that line of business.

I have heard but have not recently seen evidence of Technics still being in the portable keyboard business. If their quality is anything like the quality of the F-5, it would be one heck of a keyboard for a rock band.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...YvcAhVMyoMKHSl0CFMQMwg1KAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

I could see Rick Wakeman playing that.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 20:09
I tend to look after my stuff.

My record deck and Rotel receiver were bought circa 1973.
My cassette deck 1978, CD deck 1986.

Up until about a year ago, I was using a Hitachi music system bought in Japan in 1973.

I currently use Omnifi DMS1 receivers to stream my music around the house and garage.
My car used to have an Omnifi DMP1 (in the garage ready for my new car) in it with all my music.

I have several Psion 3a in a draw somewhere, one working and the rest for spares. An Android phone has pretty much replaced this.

I have about 6 DMS1's in the loft in case any running break down, but they have not yet. :D

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Yeah the Bose bookshelf 301's are still cranking, but the one I really wanted but could never afford were the Bose 901's 1980 vintage. Those are some sweet speakers.

A college friend's father had a set of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/153037512685?chn=ps&adgroupid=52130512215&rlsatarget=pla-451946729420&abcId=1133906&adtype=pla&merchantid=115581012&poi=&googleloc=9045405&device=c&campaignid=1058844235&crdt=0

When you were in the room, it was hard to tell where the music was coming from. They were absolutely brilliant and look at the price of them now. I don't think they have been made for years.?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
A college friend's father had a set of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/153037512685?chn=ps&adgroupid=52130512215&rlsatarget=pla-451946729420&abcId=1133906&adtype=pla&merchantid=115581012&poi=&googleloc=9045405&device=c&campaignid=1058844235&crdt=0

When you were in the room, it was hard to tell where the music was coming from. They were absolutely brilliant and look at the price of them now. I don't think they have been made for years.?
I have never seen that brand or the Rotel, but they look very cool.

* I was in high school when Quadraphonic sound came out. We bought a quad receiver with four floor standing speakers, and of course I bought Quadrophenia for the first time. I estimate I have purchased that album at least four times.

I thought it was brilliant @ 16, and still do.

* That's when we noticed Quadraphonic sound.

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Quad is just the name I believe, they are not quad in sound, at least I have never thought so. I just wish I could afford a set.:(

http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/

I'm not much for movies/videos, the last time I was in a cinema was 2002 for Windtalkers and that was in the USA in Shreveport. I hardly ever play games on the computer. I have an original XBOX but only bought that to make a music centre out of it with XBMC4XBOX, but I do like my music. :D

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:09
@accessblaster

Inthat photo I see a Hammond B-3 (probably) which is the two keyboards at the lowest tier directly in front of him. You can recognize them because they have what appears to be, but is not, a negative color keyboard on that instrument. (They are actually presets for particular sound settings.)

I also see at LEAST three mini-Moogs. The others, I can't tell because not enough of the logo is present. I think there is a real piano to his right.

Talking about speakers... Hurricane Katrina cost me my Technics F3, and I was lucky to find the F5 on Craigslist. But the other things Katrina took were my HK SM "Infinity" series speakers with the twin 15-inch woofers in each unit plus the 8-inch midrange pair and the 1-inch dome radiators. Those things were responsive at signals from 20 Hz to 25 KHz. When I cranked up the stereo on "Ode to Joy" or the "Hallelujah Chorus" - or for that matter, "Oh Fortune" from Carmina Burana, it was visceral. And my pipe organ recordings sounded great, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom