Trump on Pregnancy (1 Viewer)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:00
If you take a step back from the personal nature of that statement, it is actually a general observation about the whole of the bloody internet!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Absolutely I agree 100%, I have been guilty of that myself.

Personally I try not to focus in on one particular subject, nation or race.

Having said that it doesn't always work out the way you want it, i.e. The Watercooler.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 00:00
P.S. please critique the grammar because that never gets old.

Well, since you asked:
  • Your capitalization slipped in one spot.
  • Your use of commas is somewhat inconsistent.
  • Your use of pronouns is slightly vague in one place.
  • I saw a word or two mashed together.
  • At one point you used a period instead of a colon.
  • At another point, you used a comma where a semicolon would have been more appropriate.

:D

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Well, since you asked:
  • Your capitalization slipped in one spot.
  • Your use of commas is somewhat inconsistent.
  • Your use of pronouns is slightly vague in one place.
  • I saw a word or two mashed together.
  • At one point you used a period instead of a colon.
  • At another point, you used a comma where a semicolon would have been more appropriate.

:D
LOL thanks you made my day!

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 05:00
I will address this quote since Frothy has already dealt with your other remarks.

Has anyone ever seen the Movie with Bill Murray called "Ground Hogs Day"?
Everyday you wake up and login to the forum, and there it is. Col asking "why do Americans hate blacks" or "why are Americans on the inch system when the rest of the world is on metric"?

No matter how much effort people like Doc try to explain American culture to Col, the less he knows.

So either you can't retain basic information or you are a troll, I contend it's the latter.

P.S. please critique the grammar because that never gets old.

Actually, those are two questions I have never asked. I know why some Americans hate blacks and I know why the USA still uses the imperial measures. Maybe those were just general examples and not actual quotes.

BTW, I thought "Groundhog" was all one word and not plural either. Also, why is the word "movie" capitalised?

I also liked Frothy's post, he's wrong of course but if that's the way he likes to think then that's cool with me. I find it odd though that he can still read my posts when he made such a song and dance about putting me on "ignore". I suppose I'm just irresistible.

Col

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Sometimes the level of tryhard in your posts is just too amusing to pass up.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I hear ya, I am not retired sitting at home worried about every punctuation and grammatical errors. A lot of times I am running out of the house with a cup of coffee and a kiss for the wife.

So yeah guilty as charged.:eek:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Doc, so with a S.W.A.T. team. What are the "Special Weapons"? Are they not available to the general public? I thought you could buy any weapon in Walmart.

There is a programme on TV called S.W.A.T. But all they do is break down doors, shout a lot and generally shoot anyone and smash up cars. They seem to be legalised thugs with no manners or etiquette who care little for people's dignity or property.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:00
Col,

The special weapons are technically not that special - except that most police officers do not carry around fully automatic assault rifles when on patrol. Even SWAT officers don't carry those except when on a special call-out, like a barricade in the barrio, captives in Capistrano, ensconced embezzlers in Encino, or such as that.

They get to shoot tear gas (technically, a lachrimation agent that has more than just a few tears associated with it) and use "flash-bangs" (explosive devices that make a bright light and a lot of noise as a distraction). They get to kick in doors or blow the locks with a small explosive charge.

As to the popular TV show S.W.A.T.? First and foremost, that is a rehash of a series from YEARS ago, like 1980s if I recall correctly. They even used the same theme song! The star of the older version was, I think, Steve Forrest. Now they have the brooding Shemar Moore - and the team members are a bit more diverse this time.

The S.W.A.T. program only shows dramatized situations because, ... well... it IS a TV drama, you know. Ratings on TV get boosted by many things, but when you don't have exceptionally literate scripting, the next best thing is a little violence sprinkled copiously with car chases. I would ask you to consider that the S.W.A.T. program is more in the "bread and circuses" style of TV rather than any truly informative style.

My cable provider in New Orleans offers multiple channels including one called "Crime and Investigation" - the C&I channel - where some shows follow real S.W.A.T. groups who go out on various missions. More often than not, they are simply serving a warrant at a home expected to be full of people who would actively resist.

I can't be sure, but I THINK the goal for the real S.W.A.T. officers is not to use their weapons, but to have them showing in a way that the people at the home realize that resistance would lead to their immediate and probably painful deaths. What is that principle from the Art of War? The best way to win a battle is to persuade your enemy to not start one?

As a result, in those C&I shows, the most common violence is bashing in a door or using an armored vehicle to pull down burglar bars. Rarely do the C&I case studies show actual use of firearms. Brandishing? Yes, accompanied by lots of yelling and screaming. Firing the weapons? VERY rarely.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Happy Groundhogs day!

Attachments

• GD.gif
    GD.gif
    75.2 KB · Views: 224

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
And then there was that Tom Cruise & Emily Blunt knock-off, "The Edge of Tomorrow" for which the tag line was "Live, Die, Repeat."

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I see in the TV listings there is a new programme called "NCIS" - same sort of thing? Never actually seen it or ever heard of NCIS.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Col,

NCIS is "Naval Criminal Investigative Services" which is the branch of the U.S. Navy that works on criminal wrong-doing by (or to) members of the U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps. As shows go, this one is more literate - though they still have the occasional bits of violence. My dear wife really likes this show, which DOES include character development and a complete back-story for their main cast of repeating characters.

The "real" NCIS exists and is MOSTLY civilian-based. They answer to the Secretary of the Navy, thus are also in the chain of command through the Secretary of Defense and the President. They don't ONLY investigate crimes. NCIS agents also sometimes act as field interviewers for people (including me, once or twice) for security clearance applications and renewals. If you like the typical USA "alphabet soup" then there will be plenty of acronyms for you to savor.

In the show, you will find sometimes hear references to the CGIS (Coast Guard Investigative Services) or the AIS (Army ....). I don't recall anything relating to Air Force services but then again, I'm sure they have something.

I don't know what you care to watch, but MOST of the time the show is more about following investigative procedure and less about random gun play. They are all about following clues and using their wits rather than their weapons. In the USA, the ratings for NCIS make it consistently one of the more popular shows, usually in the top 20. It is often the most popular non-sports show on the tube for a given week.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Doc, I don't care for these type of programmes.

I prefer to participate in real life America, so I play "Grand Theft Auto". Much more realistic.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Col, to each his own. However, pardon me if I puke at the idea that you think GTA is more like real-life America. There are peaceful days when nobody speeds down my street with guns blazing, and it stays quiet for at least several hours at a time.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Doc, I don't care for these type of programmes.

I prefer to participate in real life America, so I play "Grand Theft Auto". Much more realistic.

Col

Hmm,

I'd figure you'd rather just go to a match, over consume alcohol, then run amok and vandalize places. Figured that would be more the "British" way after all. Much less required mentally and much better exercise! Plus then you'd get to enjoy the working girls skills rather than beating them for their money.

It is educational to see just how far the education system has let you down though. Most often posters on a forum for database systems show at least the education and research skills of a post-pubescent. With modern networks, and repeated references to the site www.google.com from posters, I'm intrigued that you would use "Google eyes". Then again as some questions have been answered or corrections to your beliefs about the U.S. of A. have been posted before I'm lead to the conclusion you either skip many posts, have the recall of an Alzheimer's patient, or are intentionally ignoring that which does not meet your world view.

Of course for one who is trolling rather than trying to have a civil discourse intentionally not accepting a post other than what supports your world view is the norm.

I'd have to say its based off of the English tendency to label a show that has a protagonist who's committed genocide as a part of the story resolution as "Children's entertainment'. Carries on a lovely tradition doesn't it?

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
I'd have to say its based off of the English tendency to label a show that has a protagonist who's committed genocide as a part of the story resolution as "Children's entertainment'. Carries on a lovely tradition doesn't it?

Okay, I have to ask: Which show was this?

I mean, American kids' shows when I was a child were ridiculously violent, but even they didn't go so far as genocide (despite Marvin the Martian's best attempts).

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I have to say that many people who openly criticise Grand Theft Auto (GTA) have never seen it or played it.

If you mix together the z rated cop type shows discussed earlier with what we actually see on the news, then you have a very high percentage of the GTA content. You can fly jumbo jets into buildings, you can kill dozens of people as per the mass killings in the USA.
People in the countryside are even more aggressive and speak with strange accents as per The Dukes of Hazzard. They also use the old CB radios to have a go at each other.
Police shout a lot and will kill you for little reason like accidentally bumping into their car whilst driving.

Mark, your post is rather good. I don't understand the last paragraph though, but never mind. Your comments on the educational system are sort of correct, I can't tell you some of the things we were told that were not true, but just propaganda, as was the way in the 1960's.
Plus I'm guessing the first paragraph is a sort of reverse twist on my comments somewhere along the line, not sure where prostitution comes into play though.

Overall though, a good post, keep it up.

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom