should police get involved with on pitch incidents? (1 Viewer)

emcf

Local time
Today, 21:38
did anyone see ben thatcher's challenge?

slow mo on you tube -

elbow hit

i reckon he should be done for assault - there is no place for that in football

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:38
Alternatively, give him a pair of ice skates and some pads and a hockey stick and send him to North America and put him in a rink: 2 minute penalty. Not to downplay the meanness of the act -- just an idle observation.

Another idle thought: do organized sports play a role in allowing people -- spectator and participant -- to release (or promote?) these sorts of violent feelings in a more or less controlled setting? And is that a good or bad thing or something in between?

All too too serious for a Friday...waiting for my first lousy cup of Folgers to fry-up in the microwave...

Tim

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:38
emcf said:

slow mo on you tube -

elbow hit

Definitely. This goes way beyond just 'dirty' playing. Is there any way you could do that in the street and not get charged with something?

Pono1 said:
Alternatively, give him a pair of ice skates and some pads and a hockey stick and send him to North America and put him in a rink: 2 minute penalty.

Some of the people I've worked with in Canada have cited this difference as their main reason for not watching what they see as 'less of a sport', to quote one person. I had someone explain to me at length that any sport where a less skillful player wasn't allowed to physically attack an opponent to compensate for his own failings was, simply put, reducing the 'fairness of the game' (his words).

There was one well-publicised case here where a player deliberately hit someone from behind, slamming his head into the ice and seriously injuring him. He got penalised for it, but there were plenty of people I spoke to who defended him, saying it was 'justified' or 'part of the game'. More than one person even referred to him as 'a hero'.

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
pono1 said:
Alternatively, give him a pair of ice skates and some pads and a hockey stick and send him to North America and put him in a rink: 2 minute penalty. Not to downplay the meanness of the act -- just an idle observation.

Another idle thought: do organized sports play a role in allowing people -- spectator and participant -- to release (or promote?) these sorts of violent feelings in a more or less controlled setting? And is that a good or bad thing or something in between?

All too too serious for a Friday...waiting for my first lousy cup of Folgers to fry-up in the microwave...

Tim

Agreed, pono1, looks like just a good check into the boards.:D

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Matt Greatorex said:
Definitely. This goes way beyond just 'dirty' playing. Is there any way you could do that in the street and not get charged with something?

Some of the people I've worked with in Canada have cited this difference as their main reason for not watching what they see as 'less of a sport', to quote one person. I had someone explain to me at length that any sport where a less skillful player wasn't allowed to physically attack an opponent to compensate for his own failings was, simply put, reducing the 'fairness of the game' (his words).

There was one well-publicised case here where a player deliberately hit someone from behind, slamming his head into the ice and seriously injuring him. He got penalised for it, but there were plenty of people I spoke to who defended him, saying it was 'justified' or 'part of the game'. More than one person even referred to him as 'a hero'.

I replied to, pono1, before I read this and of course I was just joking around. Hockey is a sport I love and it is a rough sport but there are rules in place due to the roughness of it. Checking a player from behind is always a penalty and often is not agressive play, it's cheap play. The guy your talking about, is not a hero, he's a cheap shot.

emcf

Local time
pono1 said:

Tim

i suppose ice hockey is pretty brutal but at least they have lots of padding!

i'm sure organised sports have a beneficial effect on the population...lots of people stressed by jobs getting rid of it by playing competitive sports!

what on earth is Folgers?

emcf

Local time
Matt Greatorex said:

yes....by having no witnesses:D

Matt Greatorex said:
I had someone explain to me at length that any sport where a less skillful player wasn't allowed to physically attack an opponent to compensate for his own failings was, simply put, reducing the 'fairness of the game' (his words).

i agree...that's why i prefer rugby to footy. there is always the opportunity for a ham-fisted second row to give out a good shoe-ing to the unfortunate opposition stand off - in a manner consistent with the rules of course....:cool:

Matt Greatorex said:

have the police ever got involved in incidents in ice hockey?

emcf

Local time
ShaneMan said:
I replied to, pono1, before I read this and of course I was just joking around. Hockey is a sport I love and it is a rough sport but there are rules in place due to the roughness of it. Checking a player from behind is always a penalty and often is not agressive play, it's cheap play. The guy your talking about, is not a hero, he's a cheap shot.

purposefully injuring a fellow professional is pretty low behaviour - football has had quite a few of those over the years. putting in a hard, legal challenge is what it is about but not when the challenge is reckless -if you put in a tackle like ben thathcher's then you are either incompetent at the game or dangerous....either way a long ban is what is required. I think he got away with a yellow card for that one which doesn't mean much really. football has a rule that if the ref punishes a tackle with a yellow card it cannot be retospectively upgraded.

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
emcf said:
what on earth is Folgers?

A cat...

Of course I'm kidding.

Folgers is a dose of caffeine wrapped in very bad but relativly low-priced instant coffee.

Matty

...the Myth Buster
Local time
Today, 16:38
emcf said:
have the police ever got involved in incidents in ice hockey?

At least once that I can think of. I think it was the incident mentioned above:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Bertuzzi

"On 24 June 2004, the criminal justice branch of the British Columbia Ministry of the Attorney General announced that Bertuzzi was formally charged with assault causing bodily harm."

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Yes - Lpools perfomance on Sunday was criminal.

rourkey

Registered User.
Local time
emcf said:

slow mo on you tube -

elbow hit

No. because they would end up arresting players for telling the ref to fuck off!
It would never end!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:38
We have lots of cases - hockey being the best example but FAR from the only one - where players do things best described as shady and at worst fully described as criminally motivated.

I really think it is time that ALL sports add a clause to the contracts such that where there is evidence that a particularly vicious action that results in serious injury occurs, tapes will be reviewed. If there is even a HINT that the vicious hit was not accidental but rather was retaliatory, the player's case will be referred to the local prosecutor.

OK, in USA football, some of those tackles are not merely vicious, they are bone-crunching. Guys don't get up right away. Rare cases, they don't get up under their own power. One of the N'Awlins Saints players took one of those hits during the playoffs. In the post-game interview, one of the reporters asked him, "What was going through your mind after the hit." To which the player replied, "Remember to breathe!"

In hockey, you get knife-blades on your feet and a big stick in your hands. When a guy gets on the wrong side of either object there is usually blood on the ice. The sport is known to have "enforcers" who do exactly that sort of thing, and that just sucks.

Baseball and basketball have been known to clear the benches in brawls. In a few cases, objects get thrown - chairs and bats and such.

It should be made clear that any player so stupid as to jeopardize the career of another player for pride or revenge has NO PLACE as a professional athlete. Because when it gets to that level, it is not sports, it is the law of the jungle.

When the violence is used as an excuse to "level the playing field" - that's wrong. We pay money to SEE the good players trounce the bad ones. We don't want some hyperpituitary case leveling the good players so their mediocre team can win. That isn't sports. It is brute war.

On the other hand, everyone tells the ref to f... off, so it is hard to get riled up about it when it happens. It is when someone whacks the other player and when the ref gets in there to break it up, he whacks the ref just for good measure. That's crossing a line.

Just one man's opinion.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
After the final yesterday - I would say the Chelsea team needs jailing and the Arsenal team sending to young offenders institutions or deporting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom