Most memorable Olympic moment (1 Viewer)

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:38
yes of course - greatest/most notorious Olympic moments were

Russia beating USA at Basketball

Bob Beamon's long jump

Torvill and Dean in Sarajevo

John Walker winning the 1500 metres

Seb Coe winning the 1500 metres (twice)

The British Cycle Team 2008

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 19:38
The closing ceremony.

It means the TV schedules will get back to normal. Thank christ it only happens every 4 years - it'll be better if was every 10 years.

Col

statsman

Local time
Today, 14:38
The Canadian Men and Women winning Hockey gold at Salt Lake City.
The men of course were expected to win.
The Canadian women were assessed 14 minor penalties to the American's two in the final match. Canada still won. The referee in the ladies final was an American.

The Munich Massacre in 1972

In 1960, Wilma Rudolf of the US winning gold in the 100M, 200M and the 4X100 relay. She had given birth a few weeks before.

The Jamaican bob sled team in 1988

The mens field hockey final in 1976 (Australia v New Zealand), It was the first time either India or Pakistan had not won gold.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:38
Definitely, the 1980 Winter Olympic Hockey semis and finals. But not for the sports.

My dad didn't know beans about ice hockey, but he knew how important the USA/USSR game was from a viewpoint of national pride. We watched the game together, with me explaining the few rules that mattered. Icing, two-line pass, and a couple of penalties. Then, the USA/Finland game for the finals. My dad and I spent quality time together watching those two games even though he was lost half the time. I miss him dreadfully now that he's gone, but I have moments like that to remember.

As to the "sending shivers down your spine" moment, the performance of Torvil and Dean, the pairs ice-dancing bolero that was hotter than a pistol and left the announcers babbling almost incoherently about how it was either the stupidest or most brilliant performance ever. Then they got straight 6.0 for their artistic merit and a very long standing ovation from the audience - and we had our answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom