Automatic counter resets each new day (1 Viewer)

docxyz

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:14
Hi poeple, is there anyway to make a counter field that is automatically filled (1,2,3,...) rather than filling it manually and also it resets each new day?? I'm not talking about autonumber field because of its nature also because I use it as a uniqe field "VisitID",, please help..

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Yesterday, 18:14
I would calculate that by subtracting a fixed start date from the current date. Consider how this . . .
Code:
function MyCounter as long
   const START_DATE as date = #1/1/2014#
   MyCounter = date() - START_DATE
end function
. . . always returns a count of days since a fixed point in time.

docxyz

Registered User.
Local time
MarkK,, thank you very much, that looks genius, I'll try this for sure

docxyz

Registered User.
Local time
I would calculate that by subtracting a fixed start date from the current date. Consider how this . . .
Code:
function MyCounter as long
   const START_DATE as date = #1/1/2014#
   MyCounter = date() - START_DATE
end function
. . . always returns a count of days since a fixed point in time.

Sorry for this Stupid quesion, is result gonna be a date or a number? and how that field gonna count automatically (1,2,3...),if there is much code to write please help me with this, I'm not expert in vba,, thank you again.

BigHappyDaddy

Coding Monkey Wanna-Be
Local time
I think that maybe MarkK misunderstood the question. His provided code would give the numbers of days that have passed since 1/1/2014.

To attack your counter problem, I would use a DMax function on the VisitID field for all records with today's date.

Your code might look like:
Code:
lngNewVisitID = Nz(DMax("VisitID","tblTableNameHere","DateField = #" & Int(Now()) & "#"),0) + 1

The Nz function is needed when there a value doesn't exists for VisitID for today's date. DMax would return a NULL, but the Nz function will substitute a 0.

Now when the new record is created, use the value of lngNewVisitID as the value for VisitID.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
The function returns a long integer, not a date. And how do you want to user it? In a query you could call the function, like . . .
Code:
SELECT Field1, MyCounter() As DayCount
FROM Table1
In VBA code you could call the function like . . .
Code:
private sub cmdButton_Click()
   msgbox MyCounter() & " days since count started!", vbinformation
end sub
In the control source of a textbox on a form you could do . . .
Code:
=MyCounter()
Hope this helps,

docxyz

Registered User.
Local time
I think that maybe MarkK misunderstood the question. His provided code would give the numbers of days that have passed since 1/1/2014.

To attack your counter problem, I would use a DMax function on the VisitID field for all records with today's date.

Code:
lngNewVisitID = Nz(DMax("VisitID","tblTableNameHere","DateField = #" & Int(Now()) & "#"),0) + 1

The Nz function is needed when there a value doesn't exists for VisitID for today's date. DMax would return a NULL, but the Nz function will substitute a 0.

Now when the new record is created, use the value of lngNewVisitID as the value for VisitID.

You are my super hero, this is so logic but I would never think of it, God bless you. ;)

docxyz

Registered User.
Local time

Code:

Is there any conflect or issue regarding using the app by many users over network, I mean recording visits at the same time.

BigHappyDaddy

Coding Monkey Wanna-Be
Local time
The potential for conflict does exist, but to reduce the risk, create the record immediately after getting the next VisitID. The risk increases if you ask for the next VisitID and do other operations before creating the record. That gives the next user to ask (and receive) the same VisitID.

docxyz

Registered User.
Local time
The potential for conflict does exist, but to reduce the risk, create the record immediately after getting the next VisitID. The risk increases if you ask for the next VisitID and do other operations before creating the record. That gives the next user to ask (and receive) the same VisitID.

Thank you for making this very clear, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom