Navigation skips records ? (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:21
Does your comment count in the case where the record is autonumbered AND has non-zero / non-blank defaults?
Yes. Even though the defaults show in the "new" record, the "new" record isn't dirtied until someone types something into a control OR someone simply gives focus to the record and one of the form level events such as current or activate run and dirty the record. I find that if I don't dirty the record before the user does, I never end up with empty records or strange errors.

ahmed_optom

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:21
Jet/ACE are quite unstable on a wireless connection. If you are not using a wired network, you really need to switch to SQL Server ASAP. You will still have problems with the FE becoming disconnected but you are much less likely to have data issues.

Is there criteria that is preventing this?

Be very careful when dirtying a record. You do NOT want to dirty a record before the user does. That means that any code you have that dirties the record needs to go into either the BeforeInsert event (if you only want to do it for new records) or in the on Dirty event (if you want to do it for all records). Code in the form's BeforeUpdate event does not dirty the record since it is already in the save process so this is where you put code that logs changedBy and ChangedDate.

No, there are no criteria/filters.

Im just now weighing up what is going to be less headache, having ethernet cable wired everywhere or moving the backend to sql....

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Im just now weighing up what is going to be less headache, having ethernet cable wired everywhere or moving the backend to sql....

@ahmed: you have never clarified whether users are using the same front end located on the network or they each have their own local copy. If the former, moving the backend to sql will not solve the problem since users sharing the FE will cause corruption in the front end.

If you go the wireless route, use a sql backend for definite (sql server express is free) and each user must have a copy of the FE on their local machine.

If you go the wired route, you can stick with access as a backend but each user must still have a copy of the FE on their local machine.

ahmed_optom

Registered User.
Local time
@ahmed: you have never clarified whether users are using the same front end located on the network or they each have their own local copy. If the former, moving the backend to sql will not solve the problem since users sharing the FE will cause corruption in the front end.

If you go the wireless route, use a sql backend for definite (sql server express is free) and each user must have a copy of the FE on their local machine.

If you go the wired route, you can stick with access as a backend but each user must still have a copy of the FE on their local machine.

I thought I did, sorry.

Each user has a batch file and loads a fresh local copy on to their pc on startup. It copies over from a network drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom