Build a database £££ (1 Viewer)

smstothrs

Local time
Today, 09:12
Would anyone be able to fix or build me a database. and how much would it cost me ??

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Some where between nothing and the total economy of Europe... Depends on WHAT you are asking for. Your question is very vague. Similar to asking "I want something that can float, how much would it cost me???". Would need a lot more details.

smstothrs

Local time
apologies,

at the minute we are using the services template ms access provide and it works a treat my issue is i want this to be split for multi users.

can this be done ?

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 17:12
Yes it can be done.

Split the database
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2IFTHgZQzg

Put the back end with the data on a SAN somewhere

Place copies of the front end on each local computer and then link to the the file on the SAN server with the database back end and link the tables.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:12
smstothrs,

Just curious--What is your role regarding the current and proposed database?

smstothrs

Local time
@jdraw i am not sure what you mean do you mean my role within the company

smstothrs

Local time
i have got this far but the macros from the template do not work once it is split

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I meant with respect to the database.
Are you the?
-business manager who needs some sort of automation to do some job "better"
- "proponent" (identified the need and has resources to oversee this project
-analyst
-developer
-dba

What is the business involved in simple English -no jargon?

smstothrs

Local time
i am the company director so i want to view everything that happens

i want other users to create quotes but not see the invoice's or yearly sales i also want to password protect each user so no one can log in as other users (does this make scene? ) sorry i am not very good with the access terminology

we are a mechanical and electrical company that also deals with facility management so as a job is raised i have been getting the guys to create a new quote/case and hitting submit on completion allowing accounts department to invoice it

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
So, this proposed database will interface with the accounting/invoicing system you currently have?
As "company director" do you intend to build this yourself, based on your
i have got this far but the macros from the template do not work once it is split .
If this is a critical part of your business, you might want to review software compatibility.

smstothrs

Local time
sort of it generates the invoice for us. i have attached a template to give you an insight what i mean. but once i split it and link the tables the macros stop working

Attachments

• template 1.zip
    965.2 KB · Views: 50

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I am not familiar with the template. There certainly are many objects within the template. I do note that it does not have any tables and relationships in the relationship window?? I'm not sure how you would adapt such a template to your business without knowing more about the structure.

There may be someone with knowledge of that template either on this forum or another. You might try google and see if you can find anyone familiar with the template.

You might find a local Access/database person who could offer direct support??

Good luck.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I looked at the template. It uses some of the typical poor design techniques evidenced in earlier versions. It is completely macro based which makes it difficult to modify.
It also may be a web template because I can't put any object into design view to see what's behind it

@smstothrs,
I'm not sure what you think you need to spend for a custom application but you will need to be sitting down when you get the quote. Look at commonly sold complex applications such as QuickBooks (an accounting package sold in the US which has many variations to make it suitable for different types of businesses.) A basic, generic version will sell for ~ $300 per user. If you need multiple licenses, there are packages that reduce the cost per seat. Dozens of developers have worked on this package for 20 years and the development cost by now is probably in the 10's of millions of dollars. And yet, you can get all this functionality for as little as $300. That's because there are millions of people who purchase the product every year so the cost of development and maintenance is amortized over the entire user base. If you were to develop this from scratch today, it would probably cost close to a million dollars and that is assuming that you used QuickBooks functionality as your model and just copied its look and feel and made assumptions regarding the underlying schema. If you were to start with nothing but a bright idea, you would probably spend closer to 3 million.

That's an extreme case because QuickBooks is a full featured accounting application and is very complex and due to its nature requires significant testing and version control.

For your own version of this template, you are looking at a minimum of $2,000 and more realistically $5,000 but could easily spend $50,000.

If you get an offer from someone to do it for $500, run as fast as you can. You are dealing with someone who doesn't know anything about development and probably also nothing about Access. You will end up spending an enormous amount of time with little to show for it.

Also, keep in mind that Microsoft has deprecated Access Web Apps so unless you are hosting it yourself on your OWN website where you can control software versions, all of them will stop working in April I think.

There is a desktop version of this app but I don't think it is as fully featured. You should try that one and see how it is.

Access is natively multi-user so any app you develop can be shared by multiple users. There are best practices that you should adhere to to avoid corruption issues though. For example the app should ALWAYS be split into two separate databases. The FE (front End) contains forms, reports, queries, macros, code, and LINKED tables. The BE (back end) contains only tables. Then EVERY user has his own personal copy of the FE stored on their local C: drive and linked to the shared BE which is located in a shared folder on a network drive. So in this best practices configuration, only the BE, which holds the data is shared.

If everyone works in the office and connects to the same LAN, this will be all you need for multi-users. If some workers will be remote either all the time or just some time, you will need to use Citrix or RDP. You can run either on your servers and they will allow people to connect to the local Access application via the internet. We can go there if you need to and discuss those options in more detail. So you will still have options for data sharing remotely, it is just that you CANNOT do it with Access Web Apps. They are dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom