Join statement not working (1 Viewer)

Randy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:19
I thought I had this correct, but it will not work

FROM TBLProvisionData LEFT JOIN TBLEmployeeMasterListing
WHERE TBLProvisionData.Left([UserDirectory],Instr([UserDirectory],"@")-1) = TBLEmployeeMasterListing.NETWORK_ID

so in TBLProvisionData my name is randyetheridge@unisource
in TBLEmployeeMasterListing it would be just randyetheridge

I need to join the tables and felt this statement was correct. what am I missing.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 07:19
1. Each discrete piece of data must be stored by itself. Since you want to use the username seperate from the entire email, then you should store the email in 2 fields--one for the domain, one for the user name.

2. You do not use a WHERE like that. A JOIN needs two keywords--the type of JOIN and the keyword 'ON'. Replace WHERE with ON.

3. TableName.FieldName is how you reference the field. You need to put the LEFT function around that whole thing, not just the field name.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 13:19
Adding to plog's comments, I suggest you show the entire sql including the SELECT section so we can comment on the entire string in case there are other issues as well

Randy

Registered User.
Local time
SELECT TBLProvisionData.application, TBLProvisionData.role, TBLProvisionData.UserDirectory, TBLProvisionData.inheritanceInformation, TBLEmployeeMasterListing.LAST_NAME, TBLEmployeeMasterListing.FIRST_NAME, TBLEmployeeMasterListing.SUPVSR_LAST_NAME, TBLEmployeeMasterListing.SUPVSR_FIRST_NAME, TBLEmployeeMasterListing.JOB_TITLE, TBLEmployeeMasterListing.EMPLOYMENT_STATUS
FROM TBLProvisionData LEFT JOIN TBLEmployeeMasterListing ON (TBLProvisionData.Left([UserDirectory],Instr([UserDirectory],"@")-1) = TBLEmployeeMasterListing.NETWORK_ID)

Randy

Registered User.
Local time
Ok, yes I thought about creating an update query that would put the name in its own field in TBLProvisionData

For some reason I thought I could do it in a SQL statement.

Randy

Registered User.
Local time
ok missed the intent of that first time. got it now, let me try

Randy

Registered User.
Local time
Updated statement, still did not work. in the meantime I just created a new field in TblProvisionData and parsed out the UserID field and it works. For some reason I was thinking it would be easy in a SQL statement.

SELECT TBLProvisionData.application, TBLProvisionData.role, TBLProvisionData.inheritanceInformation, TBLProvisionData.NETWORK_ID, [First_Name] & " " & [LAST_NAME] AS UserName, [Supvsr_First_Name] & " " & [SUPVSR_LAST_NAME] AS SupvsrName, TBLEmployeeMasterListing.JOB_TITLE, IIf(Left([Term_Date],4)>1900,"T",[EMPLOYMENT_STATUS]) AS Status
FROM TBLProvisionData LEFT JOIN TBLEmployeeMasterListing ON Left([TBLProvisionData]![UserDirectory],InStr([TbLProvisionData]![UserDirectory],"@")-1)=[TBLProvisionData]![NETWORK_ID]

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Code:
LEFT JOIN TBLEmployeeMasterListing ON Left([TBLProvisionData]![UserDirectory],InStr([TbLProvisionData]![UserDirectory],"@")-1)=[TBLProvisionData]![NETWORK_ID]

This is not how JOINs work. After the ON keyword you tell the computer how your to tables JOIN--- field(s) from one table maps to field(s) from the other. Your ON includes fields from the same table--that's not a valid JOIN. In the ON you must specify fields from both TBLProvisionData and TBLEmployeeMasterListing. You must specif

Even though you might be getting results, your SQL is incorrect.

Randy

Registered User.
Local time
yes sorry I missed that, you are of course correct the last statement should be
[TBLEmployeeMasterListing]![Network_ID]

Randy

Registered User.
Local time
corrected, still does not work, but thanks that was a good catch

SELECT TBLProvisionData.application, TBLProvisionData.role, TBLProvisionData.inheritanceInformation, TBLProvisionData.NETWORK_ID, [First_Name] & " " & [LAST_NAME] AS UserName, [Supvsr_First_Name] & " " & [SUPVSR_LAST_NAME] AS SupvsrName, TBLEmployeeMasterListing.JOB_TITLE, IIf(Left([Term_Date],4)>1900,"T",[EMPLOYMENT_STATUS]) AS Status
FROM TBLProvisionData LEFT JOIN TBLEmployeeMasterListing ON Left([TBLProvisionData]![UserDirectory],InStr([TbLProvisionData]![UserDirectory],"@")-1)=[TBLEmployeeMasterListing]![NETWORK_ID]

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Define "doesn't work". Error message? No results? Unexpected results?

You might create a subquery on TblProvisionData and make a calculated field out of that expression. Then use that query in another and do a simple JOIN on the calculated field.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 05:19
Randy,

For myself, I would build one query first that is based only off of one table but includes your expressions (such as
Code:
IIf(Left([Term_Date],4)>1900,"T",[EMPLOYMENT_STATUS]) AS Status
) just to make sure each piece works. After you get the first part working, then start adding in the joined pieces, without the expressions. Once that works, see if you can add in the next set.

For myself, I would use an expression within the first query to create the [Network_ID] you would be using to join rather than trying to get the expression to figure it out for you. That way you KNOW it works first.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 05:19
In addition to other good advice given, also note that the bang operator is not valid in SQL to refer to a field in a referenced table...
Code:
TBLProvisionData!UserDirectory
Use a dot...
Code:
TBLProvisionData.UserDirectory
hth
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom