Question Is it possible to integrate Word into Access? (1 Viewer)

BP123

Local time
Yesterday, 19:09
Is it possible to do this in a form/query/report (sorry im a newbie to access and not sure which one)

Basically the situation is:

- I'm creating a Database for a Gym
- I need to find members who's membership has expired
- I need the system to Send out reminder letters to all members to renew their membership

Soo basically I want to know if I can use a microsoft word template, say I type up a sample letter in microsoft word excluding the personal information. And I want to import this letter into my Acces document and by pressing a button say "Send letter to this person". And that button should use the memebers personal details in the sample letter and so I can now press print.

I want all this to happen in the Access document (unless there is a better way of donig this without using Word?)

Also I need to do the exact same but with an e-mail function aswell.

Is all this possible?

Another situation is I want to have tick box feature which is calle Medical Condition? If it is ticked then another box appears allowing you to enter the medical details and if it's not ticked then no box appears. Is this possible?

Thanks

GSSDevelopment

PHP Guru
Local time
Yesterday, 22:09
Your best bet for the letter is to build a Report in Access with text boxes for the fill in data. This will allow you to link a query to the report, based on expiration dates of memberships, and generate all of the letters you need at once.

I can't speak for having the Access database linking to Outlook to send emails. Sounds possible, but I haven't done anything with it, so I'll let someone else clarify that point.

I use Access to generate insurance declarations pages much in the same way you're describing.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:09
You can do this two ways. Both start with creating what is called an Application Object running Outlook. Look that up in the Help files that came with Access and Outlook. Basically, you create an environment inside this application object so that you can create a message. Here is where it starts to diverge into the "do it two ways" part.

Choice A - ignore word. Create text strings for the body of your mail message. If you weren't looking for fancy-schmancy text, this is all you need.

Choice B - create a WORD application object, too. Perhaps using the File System object, copy a Word document, open the copy, find a bookmark insdie the file, and start inserting your text, which will be in the font selected at your insertion point. Close the document, create you mail message with a minimal bit of text and attach your word document.

In either case you will need some VBA code to manipulate this environment. You can search this forum and quite a few other ones for the code snippets to do these things.

I have to tell you that once you get the hang of it, you can send a lot of mail. At my office, my application creates mail to about 30 people for 20-30 events per month plus different mail to forty or fifty project managers. I used the option above, Choice A, because I could more easily make a subroutine to build the To, CC, Subject, and Body strings that are the important pieces of the message. Once you have those items and just a couple of other minor things, you are good to go, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom