ADO any opinions? (1 Viewer)

reburton

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:32
ADO vs DAO any opinions?

I'm struggling with an ADO code example from a book (WROX's "Beginning Access 2007"). Anyway, I keep getting an error which I explained in another post. In my searching on line I found an opinion that DAO is superior to ADO for use in Access. I know that ADO is capable of opening other databases, but I don't know the limitations of DAO.
Any opinions to share? :)

Last edited:

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:32
I have never used ADO so comparison, for me, is difficult. However, I do believe that use of DAO is more common.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 08:32
google ado vs dao

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
ADO has its place and DAO has its place. ADO is great when you are using a SQL Server as the backend. DAO works quite well in most instances for internal Access operations or between Office apps. At least that's how I do it.

As for your error, I posted the answer. You need to use the CurrentProject.Connection instead of trying to open another connection.

reburton

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks! To boblarson, I appreciate the input!

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:32
ADO's piece de resistance is the disconnected recordset. It has the ability to exist entirely in RAM without an active connection. It can be edited then reconnected and the updates applied to the original data.

A variation of the disconnected ADO recordset is the fabricated ADO recordset which doesn't ever need to be connected to anything. These are a very effective way to handle large amounts of temporary data.

Because they exist in RAM and don't need to write to a disk, they are blazingly fast.

An ADO recordset can also hold another recordset as data in a field.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:32
You need to use the CurrentProject.Connection instead of trying to open another connection.

Actually it is better to use CurrentProject.AccessConnection particularly if the recordset is to be used with a form.

This is overcomes some situations where the recordset would otherwise not be updateable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom