Windows XP vs. 7 (1 Viewer)

SkyCraw

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:22
I current have an Access 2007 database which one of our end users utilize faithfully. When he initiates a search in this Access 2007 database on a Windows XP Professional station, it returns the results almost instantaneously. However... this same search started in the same database on a Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit station, it takes almost half a minute to complete the same search.

In both situations, he is using the same credentials to access this .accdb file (stored locally on each station). Does anybody know what could be causing this?

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 07:22
Provide more details. How can it be "the same database" (and in the same state) if it is on two different machines?

SkyCraw

Registered User.
Local time
My apologies, it is the same front-end (back-end is linked to SQL Server) .accdb database being used on both the Windows XP and Windows 7 PCs.

SkyCraw

Registered User.
Local time
In addition, the search is being performed within the same pop-up form in both cases.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 07:22
On this one I'll have to pass -- nothing springs to my empty mind. But wait - the US-team is slowly waking up, so I guess they might come up with something... or else the Aussies will :D

SkyCraw

Registered User.
Local time
Haha awesome, I'll wait and see what happens. Thanks for all the help though! :)

Fran Lombard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:22
Don't know if this will help but you might want to check the versions of the connectivity libraries used on the different machines.

SkyCraw

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Fran, do you know where I can find this in Windows 7?

Fran Lombard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:22
Sorry SkyCraw I'm not sure.

This is an area that I only have enough knowledge to get in trouble with so.. I am concerned I might be leading you down the wrong path.

Having given fair warning
It may be in the Office Button/Server/Connection/Data Link Properties or if you are using ADO which version of ADO is installed.

While I'm not sure how to check these items - I do know that different connection variables (client side libraries - network connection parameters and the like) can effect overall performance of a client/server application. I just don't have the knowledge to guide you in determining if they are relevant in causing your situation.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Fran

SkyCraw

Registered User.
Local time
I couldn't find exactly what you were mentioning, but I think you're on the right track :). There's something in Windows 7 (my mind first thought of indexing within Windows, but that didn't help) that hinders searching performance on my pop-up form within Access 2007 that doesn't exist in Windows XP; both professional with the only noted difference being in bit processors and other hardware capacities/specs.

Is Access 2007 noted to behave differently in other aspects with linked ODBC tables within Windows XP in lieu of 7?

SkyCraw

Registered User.
Local time
For those who are wondering why this is marked as complete, I eventually just create a procedure to import the search data into local tables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom