Question Auto fill multiple fields in a form from 2 Tables (1 Viewer)

dbaird521

Local time
Today, 07:42
Hello, I am designing a Project Management Database here at work and have run into a problem. I have two tables, "Summary" and 'POC Information". In the "POC Information Table I have all my Contacts Information (Name, Title, Phone, Email, etc...) and I am trying to assign 2 POCs to each of my multiple projects located in the "Summary" Table. I am using a Form called "JCIDS Tracker Input Form" as the link. So far I am able to assign one POC by a combo box that lists "Full Name", then it autofills the other information...Phone Number, Email, etc... The problem come into being when I want to assign a second POC to the same Project...I can assign a name, but it won't correctly autofill the rest of the information...it just autofills in the information from the first POC that was selected. Can anyone help me figure out how to crack this code?:banghead:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
How about 5-6 lines of plain English --no jargon - of WHAT you are trying to accomplish?

We're not familiar with POCs and JCIDs.
It's more productive for you and for readers if we understand you, your environment and the business this database will support. It's a necessary basis for communicating specifics, and until we understand WHAT, it's difficult to respond to HOW in a focused manner.

Here is link to a free, generic Project Management data model that identifies the most common tables and relationships. It is generic and may not be suited to your needs. You can ignore, add and/or modify to suit your requirements.
Good luck with your project.

Last edited:

dbaird521

Local time
OH...OK...Sorry. Basically I have two tables and need to assign two contacts (in table 1) per project (in table 2). I want it to auto fill most of the information listed in the contacts table once I select the Name from the combo box on the form.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
So you have a table of Contacts and a table for Projects.
You are saying
- Each Project has 2 Contacts
(do these Contacts have roles/jobs within a given project)?
-Do projects occur at specific Locations?
-Can 1 or more people/Contacts work on different Projects?

dbaird521

Local time
Correct...each project needs two contacts. They don't have specific roles within the project.
Locations are not important...only the contact's "Division", "Primary Phone", "Cell Phone", "Email"
One or more contacts do work on multiple projects.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Sorry but it seems there is something basic missing in your set up. You mention "Tracker" and that usually signifies a Time component. eg Tracking the status of a project with time, or tracking the Price of a Product over Time periods....
Can you give us the 30,000 ft version of a day in the life of this database?

dbaird521

Local time
OK...30,000' view...I'll try. The reference of "tracker" is referring to dates. Each Project has multiple dates I need to track, but I am not having much trouble with that aspect. Each Project has to have a "Primary Contact" and a "Secondary Contact" I tried to solve the problem initially by setting up a flat database with only one table, but soon realized I would have to type in redundent contact information for each project. So, I created a second table to store the contact information and created a "relationship" between the two tables. Now I have no problem adding one contact (with associated data) to a project within a form, but I can't seem to add the second (with the associated data)

A day in the life of the database...I will be using it to create reports on upcoming suspense dates and input current status on the projects using forms.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm going to suggest a tutorial that will help you with table and database design concepts.
You have to work through it, and you will learn. It will probably take about 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour. I think it would be well worth doing - you'll experience and learn more in that time than a few months of trial and error. Tutorial from RogersAccessLibrary.

Good luck.

JLCantara

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:42
Hi Dbaird521,

Connect Projects to Contacts in a one-to-many link. Write proper query to fetch your Projects and one to fetch contacts (sorted asc on Project ID).

Set up a form for Projects and another one for the Contacts.

Open the frmProjects form and ADD as a subform frmContacts; using the link option, use the Project ID to link main to subform: that's it!!! Access will do the sync for you.

With this approach, you can have as many contacts to a project as you want!!!

Good luck, JLCantara.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom