Using VLookup Function (1 Viewer)

yeatmanj

Loose Cannon
Local time
Today, 11:54
I need help building a function. Yes I know how to search, but I can't figure out the right criteria to bring up the results I'm looking for or they just aren't out there. I'm not even sure I'll be able to explain what I want it to do well enough.

I have a summary sheet and multiple detail sheets. The summary sheet uses the detail sheet to calculate most current data. I would create a detail sheet and name it 999999999, then add a row to the summary sheet and the first cell would contain 999999999 (entered manually). From there I want to use VLookup functions, but don't want to have to build the string new each time or copy and past. Just want to copy down the above cell and allow the relative references to do the +1 cell reference thing.

So when I use Vlookup it would be nice if I could reference cell A1 as the name of the worksheet. Here is how the formula looks now.

=IF(VLOOKUP($I8,'328509656'!$A$7:$AL$30,22,FALSE)="","",VLOOKUP($I8,'328509656'!$A$7:$AL$30,22,FALSE))

The red is the worksheet name. Is there a way to build this formula so that instead of having to reference the worksheet name it can use the value in cell A1 to get the name of the worksheet?

shades

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:54
Howdy. If I understand, something like this?

=VLOOKUP($I8,INDIRECT(A1&"!$A$7:$AL$30"),22,FALSE)

where A1 on your summary sheet would hold the worksheet name.
________
GM LT ENGINE

Last edited:

yeatmanj

Loose Cannon
Local time
Today, 11:54
Shades, You are a saviour. That was it exactly. I had tried indirect, but didn't understand the syntax. Thank You so much for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom