Database lock (1 Viewer)

CosmaL

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:16
Hello my friends,

I've got a request for a database but i would like to lock the file so when the user will work he will not have access to tables/forms/code/design etc.

An experienced user could use shift to unlock/unhide the tables/routines/forms etc.

Do you suggest any way to totally lock the environment so he could only use the available forms?
I would like to have access in the file just in case there's is a need to modify/back up something.

Thank you in advance!!!!!

Best Regards,
Costas

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 14:16
Suggest you hide the navigation pane and ribbon and distribute as an ACCDE file so the code isn't accessible. However you need to ensure that all required functionality is available from forms
As the developer you would work in the ACCDB version.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:16
The answer to your question is NO. Sadly, MS doesn't give us a way to do this. There are lots of techniques you can use and impediments to put in the way of inquisitive people but essentially, any Access app can be broken.

If this is an application for use within your own company, people need to be informed that attempting to break into the app is a fireable offense. If you are distributing the application out into the wild, you can say whatever you want to in the licensing agreement but to some degree, you will need to rely on people to obey the agreement. I have a couple of applications that are sold - not to the general public but to a more select group and so far I haven't had any problem with people trying to steal my intellectual property or to resell it. Of course the "cooler" your app, the more risk you run. The general public doesn't seem to respect licensing so if you are producing a game (why you would be doing this with Access is beyond me), you are probably out of luck.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:16
You can hide things for a while but if you have anything that someone wants, they WILL break into it. Search this forum for the topic of "Securing a Database" to see many articles on the subject.

CosmaL

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:16
Thank you all!

I'll try to keep the objects and menus as hidden as i can!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom