My YouTube's are sexually suggestive, contain bad language, and are controversial. (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:28
Oh dear Google! You have really messed up big this time! Reader, you may be aware that I try to help people with Microsoft Access by providing sets of YouTube videos demonstrating hints tips and tricks that might be valuable to them. Of all my videos I probably make about $1 a day sometimes $2 a day, and that's on all of my hundreds of videos combined! So as you can probably tell I'm not doing it for the money!

Google have implemented some sort of automatic vetting system and it has deemed my videos unsuitable for advertisers... Now this is probably true; I shouldn't think there are many companies that want to associate their products with MS Access databases, seems a bit of a boring association!

However it's the message I've received from YouTube:-

Why did this happen? Advertisers avoid placing ads on videos that don't align with their brand. For example, they may choose not to advertise on content that's sexually suggestive, includes bad language, or is considered controversial.

The problem is I can't see where any of my YouTube videos include anything which is sexually suggestive, or bad language or controversial?

Now I might have some controversial ways about going about developing code which people don't agree with, I'm sure that's true! But I don't think that would affect advertisers!

Now here's the kick in the teeth from Google/YouTube. I have to get 1000 views within 7 days before I can plead my case! In other words not only have they indirectly accused me of something quite nefarious but I've got no recourse, no way of bringing my dilemma before someone with a brain! I am at the mercy of an AI ... And I so thought AI's would be good for the World I'm not too sure anymore!

Last edited:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:28
Hmmm. Sounds like someone(s) at Google/Youtube needs to test their AI algorithm. Not aligning with a brand may be plausible, but "sexually suggestive, contain bad language"-- give me a break.

Perhaps a little code with a few loops to open a few of your videos would "adjust their thinking".

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Tony

When does the warning appear?

Thought I'd just check my own You Tube videos.

It seems they aren't even exciting enough to merit the "sexually suggestive, includes bad language, or is considered controversial" message

In the meantime, would it help if we all binge watched your videos - say instead of Game Of Thrones
... and whilst doing so , we can check for all the swearing, sex & violence :rolleyes:

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 16:28
Wasn't me!

Seriously, though, they've had issues for the last few months about everything under the sun being demonetized. It's actually been killing channels because full-time content creators have seen their revenue streams shut down by this.

I'm guessing that advertisers have the option of declining to advertise on any given video, and that it only takes a very few negative decisions to get a video demonetized.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:28
USA's death of Net Neutrality rears its ugly head.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Good news folks! The message has gone and I now have green medallions instead of yellow ones! That's not a euphemism....

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
What did you have to do to go 'green'?

Can I stop binge watching your videos again now?
I was a bit short of the 1000 target .... :)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
What did you have to do to go 'green'?

Well if I was David Banner you'd have to make me angry! Actually that's what happened! Seriously I didn't do anything, they must have fixed their software... When I initially looked into the problem, I found there were an awful lot of people pissed off about it on the web! So possibly they've switched it off or updated it. I'm sure somebody somewhere will know!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
By the way if you ever worry because you have a thumbs down against your video, just don't worry! You can never understand the why.... I mention this because if you look at the video of the lady flying on the Drone, it's got 600 thumb Downs.. I can't understand that! It's a very well done, very well thought out, very well filmed... just a brilliant put together clip...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I would definitely need help if I was doing that ....
However I did watch part of one today!
Can i have a reward please

Ahhhh - I saw that video before but very nice to have an opportunity to do so again! :)
It does have 4000 thumbs up

It's a very well done, very well thought out, very well filmed... just a brilliant put together clip...
And that's of course the only reason why you like it!

EDIT Forgot to say how clever the thread title was for getting us to read the contents
Perhaps you should consider changing your video titles in the same way to get more views.
Looking at the views on my own videos, I certainly need to entice a bigger audience!
No thumbs down (or up) on any of them!

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:28
I believe it's the "Uncle Gizmo handle". Its a bit like Your Wicked Uncle Ernie, you can't see or hear him as he fiddles all about. Youtube is very sensitive about these things.

Maybe they suspect you to be a Trump voter and shut you down for GP.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:28
Or perhaps there is a stigma associated with someone named Gizmo, because said person was a villain in the first of the Fallout computer games?

He gets killed early on if you take the game at "closest quest next" order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom