Always getting a Security Notice for regular accdb files (1 Viewer)

Kronix

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:02
I am getting the security warning that many websites cover popping up for accde files, but I am receiving it for regular accdb files instead.

This is happening in 2 situations:

1. On a computer with Office 2013 (not Professional) running the Access Runtime (I tried both 2013 and 2016 Runtimes) whenever I open regular accdb files. I tried repairing the Office 2013 installation but that didn't change anything.
2. On the development computer when opening wizards (e.g. Query Design Wizard, Combo Box Design Wizard), the error pertains to an accdb file in the Access install directory that apparently ships with Access and is used for the wizard. However, this error on this computer only started happening after I uninstalled 64-Bit Office 2016 Professional Plus and installed the 32-bit version.

After passing the security warning everything works fine in both cases.

I am unsure how to proceed as all my searches on this topic lead me to websites that say this warning only pops up when opening accde files.

This is not the warning bar at the top for files with VBA code that you only have to activate once. This is the "Microsoft Access Security Notice" window, and it pops up every time I open the same file or wizard.

jleach

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:02
Could you post a screenshot of the warning? I can't seem to conjure up a mental image.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Without the exact message, we can't really say for certain what the problem may be but it sounds like the problem is that the physical database is not in a trusted location.

The Access runtime does not give you any way to set trusted locations so you either have to do it in your application code or you have to do it by directly running an update to your registry.

Kronix

Registered User.
Local time
I've attached a sample from a Google Image search, except the ending for my file is accdb. Do a Google Image search for "Microsoft Access Security Notice" and you'll get images of a whole bunch of the same warning window. That is what I'm getting, except my warning is for files with the accdb ending. The warning when opening the wizards is also an accdb file in the Access install folder. I'm also using a different language version so I don't want to post it.

Attachments

• 1fEgM.png
    1fEgM.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 97

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Did you try to add the trusted folders to the registry?

Open the registry on your own PC so you can see what they look like and where they are so you can update the user's registry correctly.

Kronix

Registered User.
Local time
Apparently it doesn't update the trusted folder for the built in wizards when switching fom 64-bit to 32-bit install, namely the switch from "Program Files" to "Program Files (x86)". So I had to change that in the registry.

As for the runtime, it doesn't seem to consider any files safe, including accdb, so I have to put them into a trusted folder too. I wonder if that is intended?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 07:02
Apparently it doesn't update the trusted folder for the built in wizards when switching fom 64-bit to 32-bit install, namely the switch from "Program Files" to "Program Files (x86)".

No it won't .... but its easy enough to add both folders to your trusted locations list!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Forcing Access into this "trusted" business that was designed for Word and Excel was just plain stupid. When was the last time you got an email asking you to open this "cool" Access database that contained a virus?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom