Need help with ledger db query for monthly reports (1 Viewer)

lhgrappler

Local time
Today, 02:24
I was given a huge mess of Excel files for what should be a simple ledger - so I'm trying to build an Access db for it, even though it's been over 15 years since I've worked with Access.

General work flow:
Once a month a check comes in that is for the previous month and distributed to the various counties 'accounts'.

Disbursements (spending funds) will be varied here and there and are by county as well, with a 15% admin fee for each disbursement.

Needs:
Current balance by county report - I have this done, although I don't know if I did it in the best, or most efficient way. (I had to take the form & report off to meet size limits, but the queries are there)

A report that looks like attached pic - ideally with a form that gets month & year to be used as criteria. I can handle the report part, it's the query(ies) behind that I'm unsure of the best way to do it... Not sure if it's possible/advisable to do one query for month and one for YTD, or if both will need multiple steps, like I did my current balance query. I'm thinking some sort of query that would put all the transactions in one place would be a good start, but I'm not sure how to do that.

(all data is "dummy data")

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    8.9 KB · Views: 493
  • TESTdb.accdb
    672 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:24
Hi. Welcome to the forum. If you're doing any aggregation, then either multiple queries are necessary or you'll have to use subqueries. I think...

jrsaturnino

Local time
Today, 16:24
I have the same problem. I am trying to convert our manual ledger into Ms Access. But i dont have much experience with access. I am still learning the process through video materials and this forum.

jrsaturnino

Local time
Today, 16:24
I hope there is someone from this can help me out with our problem. I want to a system from Sales Order, sales, billing, collection and posting of payment to the ledger.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:24
I don't want to discourage you from trying to build an Access solution but you might consider purchasing quickbooks instead. Depending on what version you need, it should be around $400 which is significantly less than it will cost you to build even a small fraction of the functionality that quickbooks contains. Quickbooks gives you a professional, audited system that cost MILLIONS of dollars to develop for a very small price. The small price is possible due to the number of copies sold each year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom