Month Value Between Dates (1 Viewer)

Dirtrider929

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:15
I have a combo box, cboMonth, on a form the contains the calendar month name and numeric values. I am running a query,"qrySLR_Master_Calendar", within the form, "frmSLR_Master_Calendar", that contains data including a "StartDate" and "EndDate" which could span 3-11 months. I would like to be able to pick a month from my combo box and have it filter all records to return for that month selected. I am currently stumped on how to accomplish this and it seems like such an easy task.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:15
Hi. You said you have two date columns in your data, which one did you want the filter to apply? Both?

Dirtrider929

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, I need it to tell me what month values are available between the start and end date values.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yes, I need it to tell me what month values are available between the start and end date values.
One way to try it is to use something like:
Code:
WHERE Month([startdate])=YourSelectedMonth OR Month([enddate])=YourSelectedMonth

Dirtrider929

Registered User.
Local time
One way to try it is to use something like:
Code:
WHERE Month([startdate])=YourSelectedMonth OR Month([enddate])=YourSelectedMonth

This will give value to the months in between the two dates?

Say I have a program that is available Jan 1 through May 31 and I use my combo box to select April as the month, will the code above populate the program as being available for the month of April?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
This will give value to the months in between the two dates?

Say I have a program that is available Jan 1 through May 31 and I use my combo box to select April as the month, will the code above populate the program as being available for the month of April?
Oh, no. I see I didn't completely understand your requirement. Instead, let's try it this way then.
Code:
WHERE DateSerial(Year([startdate),YourMonthSelection,Day([startdate])) Between [startdate] And [enddate]

Dirtrider929

Registered User.
Local time
Getting and "Expected : end of statement error on "Between".

WHERE DateSerial(Year([Start]), cboMonth, Day([StartDate])) Between([StartDate]) And ([EndDate])

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Getting and "Expected : end of statement error on "Between".
It happens sometimes. Try it this way then:
Code:
WHERE DateSerial(Year([startdate),YourMonthSelection,Day([startdate])) >= [startdate] And DateSerial(Year([startdate),YourMonthSelection,Day([startdate])) <= [enddate]

Dirtrider929

Registered User.
Local time
Now its on the "Where". Did I do something wrong?

WHERE DateSerial(Year([StartDate]), cboMonth, Day([StartDate])) >= [StartDate] And DateSerial(Year([StartDate]), cboMonth, Day([StartDate])) <= ([EndDate])

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Now its on the "Where". Did I do something wrong?

WHERE DateSerial(Year([StartDate]), cboMonth, Day([StartDate])) >= [StartDate] And DateSerial(Year([StartDate]), cboMonth, Day([StartDate])) <= ([EndDate])
Hi. Just to be clear, you simply added the WHERE statement I provided to your query's SQL statement, correct?

Dirtrider929

Registered User.
Local time
No, I had a laps in brain function after working on this for so long and trying so many different things.

After adding it to the proper place I get a syntax error.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    29.6 KB · Views: 63

Dirtrider929

Registered User.
Local time
Query SQL code:

SELECT MasterCalendar.Supplier AS Supplier_Name, MasterCalendar.Description AS Offer_Description, MasterCalendar.Offer, MasterCalendar.Start, MasterCalendar.End, MasterCalendar.Guidelines, MasterCalendar.Comments, MasterCalendar.[X-Recinded], MasterCalendar.RecindedDate, MasterCalendar.SCAN, Month([start]) AS Expr1, Year([End]) AS Expr2
FROM MasterCalendar
GROUP BY MasterCalendar.Supplier, MasterCalendar.Description, MasterCalendar.Offer, MasterCalendar.Start, MasterCalendar.End, MasterCalendar.Guidelines, MasterCalendar.Comments, MasterCalendar.[X-Recinded], MasterCalendar.RecindedDate, MasterCalendar.SCAN, Month([start])
HAVING (((MasterCalendar.Supplier) Like "*" & [Forms]![frmSLR_DashboardMain]![txtSearchSuppliers].[Text] & "*") AND ((Month([start]))=[Forms]![frmSLR_DashboardMain]![cboMonth]) AND ((Year([End]))=[Forms]![frmSLR_DashboardMain]![cboYear]))
ORDER BY MasterCalendar.Supplier, MasterCalendar.Description, MasterCalendar.Start;

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
No, I had a laps in brain function after working on this for so long and trying so many different things.

After adding it to the proper place I get a syntax error.

Hi. The WHERE clause goes before the GROUP BY clause and you have to use the actual names of your start and end date fields where I used startdate and enddate, because I thought those were the names of your date fields based on what you said earlier.

Dirtrider929

Registered User.
Local time
I moved the argument to before the Group By and you are correct, the names are StartDate and EndDate so I left them in as you wrote it and I am still getting an error.

I've tried changing arguments, column names, month selections to get it to work but I must be overlooking something.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    29.1 KB · Views: 63

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I moved the argument to before the Group By and you are correct, the names are StartDate and EndDate so I left them in as you wrote it and I am still getting an error.

I've tried changing arguments, column names, month selections to get it to work but I must be overlooking something.
Oh, you're also supposed to replace the "YourMonthSelection" part with a reference to how you're actually selecting the month for your query. If you can post a sample db, we can show you how to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom