Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > The Watercooler

Old 10-14-2018, 07:43 AM   #1
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo
Checking AWF hit Count...

I was checking website hits - I do this occasionally. I haven't seen anything published on AWF about it before, so I started this Thread ... Makes interesting reading!

According to similar web :- https://www.similarweb.com

Forums where MS Access questions are discussed

AWF get just under 600k hits a month See Here:- https://www.similarweb.com/website/a...co.uk#overview

Utter Access get around 200k - down from 300k! - I wonder if you can read anything into recent events there! https://www.similarweb.com/website/u...s.com#overview

Websites which provide useful information for access users
Allen Browne gets around 75k - https://www.similarweb.com/website/a...e.com#overview

I would say that there appears to be about a 3 to 4% reduction in interest in the Access websites according to the figures. I wonder if this is seasonal, or an ongoing trend might be worth keeping an eye on.

-------------oOo---U---oOo-------------
|                                     |
|      Uncle Gizmo              |
| Get $20 worth of "Nifty Code"       |
|      
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| | Ooo | |_________________ooO____( )________| ( ) ) / \ ( (_/ \_)
Uncle Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Gizmo For This Useful Post:
isladogs (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 08:28 AM   #2
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,487 Times in 2,283 Posts
isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all
Re: Checking AWF hit Count...

Thanks for this Tony

I've not seen this service before & have bookmarked it for future use

I'd always assumed AWF & UA had similar hit rates but clearly that's not the case
The third of the main Access forums Accessforums.net is much smaller still

But compare all of these with MrExcel.com which has approx 3-4 million hits per month

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:13 AM   #3
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough

In answering a question about openquery, I happen to notice this in the Microsoft help file:-

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/off...ocmd.openquery

About the contributors
UtterAccess is the premier Microsoft Access wiki and help forum. Click here to join.

And in view of this thread about the number of hits, it obviously isn't the premier site! It's at best in poor taste, and at worst, false advertising!

|      
Old 10-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #4
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,487 Times in 2,283 Posts
isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all

Although I've rejoined UA after a 6 month gap, it will never be the best Access site for me.

On their home page it claims ....
Quote:
Over 250,000 members have signed up at UA to enjoy well over 2,500,000 posts - proving UtterAccess.com is the only source for help with Microsoft Access...and more!
Hmm....!
It seems AWF does have fewer members & posts - currently its:
Quote:
Threads: 258,584, Posts: 1,418,119, Members: 111,396
...but the fact that it gets 2-3 times the number of site visits says a lot about the experience for site users

Website links:

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:08 PM   #5
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,532 Times in 1,421 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Perhaps UA is less about wheat and more about chaff?
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:31 AM   #6
Vassago
Administrator

Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
Although I've rejoined UA after a 6 month gap, it will never be the best Access site for me.

On their home page it claims ....

Hmm....!
It seems AWF does have fewer members & posts - currently its:

...but the fact that it gets 2-3 times the number of site visits says a lot about the experience for site users
We likely had far more posts. Years ago, the website was hacked and multiple forums and threads were deleted without a way to recover them.

I and many of our long term members lost thousands of posts, although mostly Watercooler posts.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:03 AM   #7
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassago View Post
I and many of our long term members lost thousands of posts, although mostly Watercooler posts.
Yes I recall the incident! I know I lost quite a bit of stuff, one thing in particular, I'd posted something to do with database audit, a nice solution I thought. I lost that and I haven't been able to reproduce it! I now keep a copy of everything on Google Drive.

|      

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: