Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Forms

Old 11-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #1
Diamond-Leopard
Newly Registered User

Diamond-Leopard is on a distinguished road
Linking Tables in a Form

Let me start by saying every time I post here I have done extensive research to the best of my incredibly limited ability and it is only when my ignorance is more superior then my luck do I feel the need to ask the Gurus at Access World. Mainly because I know my question will be hilariously simple for someone who knows what they are doing ( Or what indeed to look for when something doesn't work) Anywho, apology done here is my question.

I have a form and in that form I have a link to my Inventory table which stores all the information on all the products that I sell.

I have an Order Form which is where I place in the item Number and it populates all the information about that item before I enter more information such as the sale date and customer name etc.....

What I would like is when I type into a box (Product Source) I would like the form to look the word I have typed into the box and immediately return the number of times that word has appeared in another table.

Does that make sence?

So For example as I type into a text box I want another text box to pop up with a number, I want it to search a table for how many times that number exists and to produce the number in the text box. But the Order form I am working in is linked to the Orders table which is where all the data goes when I save the record.

In excell I would do something like

Sumif(Index(*Answer Array*,MATCH(*TextboxInput*,*LookupArray*,0)

Any help is greatly appreciated thank you x

Diamond-Leopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #2
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,491 Times in 2,287 Posts
isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all
Re: Linking Tables in a Form

1. Is that to search one field in the other table or all fields .... and does that include memo/long text fields?
2. Why do you want to do this?
3. You do realise your database could slow to a crawl

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
Diamond-Leopard (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
Diamond-Leopard
Newly Registered User

1) It is just needed to search one field in the other table
2) I need it to collect the info from the source table to help with processing the order.
3) I did not know that, I don't know how to most efficiently do what I am doing.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:13 AM   #4
theDBguy
Im here to help

theDBguy will become famous soon enough theDBguy will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Have you tried using DCount()? I wonder if it will work for you.

Just a thought...

|
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theDBguy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
Diamond-Leopard
Newly Registered User

I am googleing now
Old 11-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #6
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about

I am struggling to understand why you need a separate popup form to message the user concerning search results. The current results or count can be displayed on the users form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond-Leopard View Post
So For example as I type into a text box I want another text box to pop up with a number, I want it to search a table for how many times that number exists and to produce the number in the text box. But the Order form I am working in is linked to the Orders table which is where all the data goes when I save the record.
I adapted (pilfered) some code from John Big Booty to aid in a physical inventory database I was working on a few years back. During the searching process the user is updated visually as to the current count.

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...d.php?t=188663

Attached Images
File Type: jpg List_1.jpg (79.7 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg List_2.jpg (76.2 KB, 81 views)
AccessBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AccessBlaster For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #7
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,491 Times in 2,287 Posts
isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all

@AB
The OP wants the count to appear (popup) in a text box.
No mention of a popup form

@DL
Counting in one field is perfectly manageable but I recommend you only do this using the after update event.
If you do it after each letter is added (change event) it would slow things down

My real concern was if you had wanted to search every field in the other table.
That would have been like pouring treacle but in slow motion

Website links:

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
AccessBlaster (11-18-2018), Diamond-Leopard (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 01:38 PM   #8
Diamond-Leopard
Newly Registered User

Thats great! Thank you guys for your input I will attempt to take on all the things mentioned and the reference to the after update event seems a good idea

Cheers guys

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: