Recordset not updateable. (1 Viewer)

stevekos07

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:07
Hi. This seems like such an elementary question it is almost embarrassing, but I need to get it right in my mind.

I sometimes need to add a new field into client's database, but I don't want to keep on just adding fields to an existing table. So I want to create a table with a new data field (e.g. tblClientGender) with two fields:

ClientID (foreign key from tblClients, and the primary key for this new table).
Gender (New field).

But when I add this new table into an existing query I can't update the Gender field because obviously the ClientID is not present for each record, so it is not an updateable table.

How to I make a newly created table editable when incorporated into an existing query?

I hope I am making myself clear.

ashleedawg

"Here for a good time"
Local time
If I understand correctly...

In tblClientGender, is ClientID set to AutoNumber? It shouldn't be. The ID is created in the other table.

Code:
[B][U]tblClient[/U][/B]
ClientID         AutoNumber (primary key, long integer, increment)
ClientName    Short Text

[U][B]tblClientGender[/B][/U]
ClientID         Number (primary key, long integer)
Gender          ShortText

[U][B]Query1[/B][/U]
SELECT tblClient.ClientName, tblClientGender.Gender
FROM tblClientGender INNER JOIN tblClient ON tblClientGender.ClientID = tblClient.ClientID;

Recordset is updatable.

Last edited:

stevekos07

Registered User.
Local time
In tblClients, ClientID is the primary key and is Autonumber. In tblClientGender, ClientID is the primary key and is set to Number.

The table is editable, but I need to automatically provide the ClientID number in the tblClientGender table with the ClientID that is in the other table.

Perhaps I can achieve it by hiding the tblClientGender>ClientID field in the form, and making the default value the tblClients>ClientID as an OnLoad event?

I'll try it and let you know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom