SQL server express edition (1 Viewer)

aman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:44
Hi Guys

We have an application built in MS Access , we are now thinking to change it to web based app. So the backend will be changed to SQL server but as its licence is very costly so I gave my mangers suggestion of using SQL server express edition. Now I have some questions from my manager like if we are using sql server express edition then where the data will be stored?
Will the data be stored in our own mainframe or will it be cloud based?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

aman

Registered User.
Local time
Ridders , We will develop new frontend using .net framework. So the backend will be sql server and that's why my question is.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:44
Do not underestimate the cost of developing a web based front end. Typically it will be around 10 times more expensive (in terms of time to develop) than Access.

You have to ask why you want to change to a web based app. It should only be for the reason of accessibility of the data from remote locations/machines with different OS.

Don't forget that access is two systems, a backend containing tables (and you don't have to use the Access ACE db engine, you can use sql server, MySQL or many others) and a front end containing the forms, code etc.

aman

Registered User.
Local time
CJ_London, I understand what you mean. If I need to convert the backend into more robust backend i.e. sql server, my question is can I use sql server express edition which is free of cost? If yes then where the data will be stored? Will it be stored within company mainframe or will it be cloud based?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
That's up to you, you can host your own SQL server or get someone to host it for you.

ashleedawg

"Here for a good time"
Local time
SQL Server Express stores data locally.

You can try it for free and if you decide that you need the full version of SQL Server, the data is easily transferred over.

Here's a quick overview of the options.

aman

Registered User.
Local time
I am working within a bank so just wondering if we get sql server express downloaded free of cost online then will the data be stored within our mainframe or we need to buy licence for sql server full edition?
Can anyone please explain it?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
SQL Server whatever edition is a database backend. If that database is installed on a machine on your network, then by default that's where it is stored.

Be aware of the restrictions that the free edition has on storage and users, the link ashleedawg provided has other links to the exact conditions and usage structure.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Just to add to the previous answers, I've been deploying SQL Server Express with an Access FE with a significant number of schools for over 8 years with the SQL datafiles stored on their school networks.

In all that time, none of the schools has even remotely approached the limitations of the free edition (10GB)

UPDATE:
I've just found out that the SQL Server Developers edition (2014 or 2016) is now a free download for Visual Studio Dev Essentials members (you will be prompted to sign in to Visual Studio Dev Essentials before you can download SQL Server 2014 Developer Edition).
See https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dataplatforminsider/2016/03/31/microsoft-sql-server-developer-edition-is-now-free/

How this differs from the SQL Server Express edition, I'm not sure as I'm just in the process of downloading it myself

Last edited:

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:44
I've just found out that the SQL Server Developers edition (2014 or 2016) is now a free download for Visual Studio Dev Essentials
How this differs from the SQL Server Express edition, I'm not sure as I'm just in the process of downloading it myself

It is everything. But it cannot be used for any production database.

It is for developers to make use of the fancy features then have their customers pay Microsoft bigtime. They used to charge a nominal small amount but I assume they found that giving it away was an even better result for them.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
That's what I thought on reading about it.

Developers get used to using features only available in the paid versions & then encourage their clients to purchase the paid versions as well. Clever!

However to repeat my earlier point, none of my clients have outgrown SQL Server Express after 8 years and schools accumulate a lot of staff, student & whole school data

I'm also downloading Visual Studio Community Version 2017.
Same sort of approach from MS here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom