Deep South Deep Freeze (1 Viewer)

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:31
Being the swinger was definitely life challenging.:D

Yes. Lenny sat up in a corner at the first meet after his wife became pregnant with their first child. Just couldn't do it any more.

I recon it was big factor for Casey Stoner when he announced his retirement shortly after his wife became pregnant. Marco Simoncelli had died racing a few weeks earlier.

Two of my favourite sounding engines were the 1000 cc Vincent V Twins used in the outfits and a Sprint Car at idle with no muffler.

The sound of a Vincent is unique. That sound was the most lasting memory from our trip to the Australian GP in 2008. That and watching Stoner from the stand at the Start-Finish line as he entered the main straight on a Ducati that was behaving more like a bucking bull than a motorcycle. How he sat atop it completely calm and steady amazes me.

Did you see where Jack Ehret's 1951 Vincent Black Lightning just set another record? The most ever paid for a motorcycle at public auction, USD 929,000. It was reportedly bought by an Australian.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 13:31
I had to laugh - a "swinger" in the UK is "a person who engages in group sex or the swapping of sexual partners". Mind you, in the 60's that was the norm in London.

I remember when we lived in OZ, we were in a shop and a little oldish lady came in and asked for Durex - in the UK it means condoms, in OZ it means sellotape, we admired her spirit at her age wanting Durex!

Col

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:31
Did you see where Jack Ehret's 1951 Vincent Black Lightning just set another record? The most ever paid for a motorcycle at public auction, USD 929,000. It was reportedly bought by an Australian.

No. I don't really follow bikes.

However, a bloke who I know very well and for many years, he is now about 80 and is right into older bikes big time. He used to make rifle barrels down at Robertson (his son took over) and about 10 years ago he rode an old Indian from Sydney to Adelaide and his wife as passenger.:)

He restores a lot of them and has all the gear as that was a spin off from the barrel making/gunsmithing work.

If you want to know about Harleys, Vincents or Indians then Denis Tobler is the man.

There is often lots of bike stuff on guns/hunting forums.

One thing that always caught my attention with the fast bikes is they seem to get to a very high performance level at small cost but seem to reach law of dishing returns big time. From memory I think the top road bikes with racing tyres are only about a second slower around Phillip Island than a V8 Supercar but only 3 seconds or so slower than a Moto GP. However, the top end of a Ferrari etc. is completely left in the dust by a Formula 1 car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom