Question Strange VBA-behavior (1 Viewer)

EL_Gringo

Local time
Yesterday, 17:37
I ran into a strange behaviour in a rutine that deletes a line in a table and then generates two values based on DSums. The second DSum allways returns '0'. Putting the Dsums before the delete, they work fine. The code:

A) This gives the problem:
CurrentDb.Execute "DELETE * FROM Table3 WHERE Table3.XY=0;"
MLngInicio = CLng(Forms!Informes_Inicio!FInicio)
MFilter = "(Fecha < " & MLngInicio & ")"
MSumDeber = Nz(DSum("[Importe]", "Table1", MFilter), 0)
MSumHaber = Nz(DSum("[Importe]", "Table2", MFilter), 0)

B) This works fine:

More strangely even, the above mentioned behaviour ocurrs if there is following code to insert the values MSumDeber and MSumHaber into a new line in Table3 (with a recordset-method). If that code is commented out, the problems ocurrs no matter if I use pattern A or B :banghead:

EL_Gringo

Local time
Thank you, Ben, for the quick reply. In fact, the size of the db shrunk to 80%, so there had to be a lot of junk in it. Unfortunately, it solved the problem only partially: The first time the sub is called, the error ocurs in any case (A or B), then, by changing the filter criteria and calling again (with AfterUpdate) all is fine. I must admitt that there is one more filter criteria from a control on the active form, which I omitted in the presented code to shorten it here.

boerbende

Ben
Local time
Today, 01:37
Thank you, Ben, for the quick reply. In fact, the size of the db shrunk to 80%, so there had to be a lot of junk in it. Unfortunately, it solved the problem only partially: The first time the sub is called, the error ocurs in any case (A or B), then, by changing the filter criteria and calling again (with AfterUpdate) all is fine. I must admitt that there is one more filter criteria from a control on the active form, which I omitted in the presented code to shorten it here.

It sounds like you compact the database, which is good reduce it some Mbits, but did you also decompile it?

You do this by starting ACCESS with
MSACCESS.exe /decompile

And then selecting your db

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 07:37
why not ReCalc the form first before anything else.

Me.Recalc

EL_Gringo

Local time
It sounds like you compact the database, which is good reduce it some Mbits, but did you also decompile it?

You do this by starting ACCESS with
MSACCESS.exe /decompile

And then selecting your db

Yes, I did that, including opening the db with SHIFT held down, compact&repair etc. To no avail.

EL_Gringo

Local time
I finally found the error, and as usual, the problem is to be found in front of the Display. I'm quite ashamed to admit... table 2 has no field 'Fecha'. Which still leaves the mystery why in some instances the second DSum returned a result diferent from 0.
Thanks anyway for the good ideas, guess I'm getting a bit rusty and forgot about the decompile altogether.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:37

if your delete statement deletes the currently viewed record, then !finicio will probably be Null, which will also probably explain why the queries return 0.

Might that be the problem?

EL_Gringo

Local time
if your delete statement deletes the currently viewed record, then !finicio will probably be Null, which will also probably explain why the queries return 0.

Might that be the problem?

Dear gth, thanks for your reply, but as I mentioned before I found the error, and now the code is returning the right result. !FInicio is retrieved from an unbound field on another form and can never be Null nor zero, because in that case I could not open the current form. But it still puzzles me that in spite of the missing field 'Fecha' in Table2 the erroneous code sometimes returned a valid result...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom