Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Sports, Health & Fitness

Old 07-22-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,175 Times in 1,075 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold
Confused about Rugby

I was watching some televised rugby matches on TV. Got confused about something. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

I watched several times where someone grabbed the ball and, through speed and evasive maneuvers, was able to carry the ball across a particular line. On the screen, there was the immediate acknowledgement of a "try" - but the guy got 5 points for it. What bothers me is that he didn't merely TRY to score... he succeeded. Why don't they call it a "success" ?? Because after all, I'm SURE he did what he wanted to do.

The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:27 PM   #2
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,368 Times in 3,263 Posts
CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice
Re: Confused about Rugby

Quote:
Why don't they call it a "success" ??
because the call it a 'try'.
CJ_London is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:11 PM   #3
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,409 Times in 1,329 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

The team can now "try" a "conversion" by kicking the ball over the bar between the posts.

Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:38 PM   #4
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

English (Queen's OR Trump's) is so strange.

You call it a try when the player succeeds. But Yoda said "There is no 'Try' - there is only do ... or not do."

But then, in the USA, we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway. (Thanks and full acknowledgement to George Carlin.)
Old 07-23-2018, 12:59 AM   #5
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,536 Times in 1,508 Posts
Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about

Ah - but the origins of the game were such that getting the ball over the line gave you an attempt (try) at scoring a goal with a kick.
The "try" wasn't actually awarded any points to begin with, simply used to determine a result if the goals kicked were tied.

https://www.englandrugby.com/twicken...ory/why-a-try/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Minty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:10 AM   #6
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanks for the article, Minty!

I'm a little (no, make that totally) blown away by these quotes which I read:

the rules allowed a game to be drawn if no one had scored a goal after three days’ play!

All undecided games were drawn after five days’ play.

If I played a game for three HOURS with no results, I would give up and consider another sport. Even Soccer gives up after a mere 90 minutes.

That article did clear up one thing for me. I know that USA Football was at least derived from Rugby with a few new wrinkles added. One phrase that had always made me curious about our scoring was why the "point after touchdown" (or P.A.T.) was sometimes called a "conversion." Of course, when reading that article I realized it was just another Rugby term that stayed with us until linguistic drift caused us to use other phrases. But we still talk about the "two-point conversion" for running in the ball for the "extra point" after a touchdown. And I saw that if the player actually crosses the goal line, he DOES in fact "touch down" the ball - unless he is tackled first and merely falls over the goal line.

A little glimpse of cultural diversion never hurts.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:02 AM   #7
Gasman
Access newbie

Gasman has a spectacular aura about Gasman has a spectacular aura about

Don't even look at cricket Doc.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:06 PM   #8
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanks, I have enough sticky wickets of my own.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: