Hello from Ireland. (1 Viewer)

M9620

Local time
Today, 23:44
I am a beginner/intermediate user of Access and my role involves a great deal of analytics however there are always ad-hoc request's which will require research. Am self taught and have a little vba knowledge.

Regards,
M9620

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:44
Hi M9620, Welcome to Access World Forums (AWF)

cheers Tony

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:44
M9620 - it's those ad-hoc requests that will make you shine within your department. At least, that's how it affected my status. If you were worried about continued employment, successful ad-hoc add-ons to your main project will make you indispensable or near to it. So good luck with what you do and welcome to the forum.

Insane_ai

Not Really an A.I.
Local time
Today, 19:44
M9620 - I have been a [something else] with MS Access as part of my duties until recently where it is my only duty.

The as-hoc, or as I call them "quick and dirty", solutions will impress because you can produce usable results almost as quickly as you are asked for them.

I suggest you sit with the users if you can to see how they use the application then reverse engineer it to see what tables / queries are used to populate the interface. After you gain this familiarity with the data, your job will get easier to navigate.

I will be finishing the last lesson in Sam's Teach Yourself SQL in 10 minutes. I suggest you take some time with it. I've been playing with VBA since 1996, serious since about 2008 and programming in Access the whole time. Now that I have a SQL server BE to work with, learning T-SQL has helped performance greatly. There is a lot in this book that will be remedial but the new stuff has made it worth while.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom