Import multiple unstructured text files into a database. (1 Viewer)

siddkhar

Local time
Today, 01:45
I have an excel spreadsheet, that has a long list of names and unique numbers (of medical lab results)

I have another folder which has many text files (the actual lab reports), each of which has a file name that corresponds to one unique number in the excel spreadsheet.

How can I import the content of the text files into a single memo field (e.g. "LabResultContent") in the original datasheet?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Warm regards,
Sid.

BlueIshDan

☠
Local time
Today, 05:45
You're really not giving us enough here.
IMHO - Warm regards is creepy...

siddkhar

Local time
Haha... didnt mean to be creepy. Sorry.

It might actually be very simple...

These are the results that Im trying to put together for a research project. Each lab result for a patient is given a number (an accession number). I have an excel spreadsheet that has:

- the medical record number
- the patient name
- the accession number

In a separate folder, I have many text files - these are the actual lab reports (e.g. "This test was weakly positive, other suggested tests are x,y and z"). The file name contains (in addition to other things), the accession number. Eventually, I want to have the content of these text files as a memo field in the datasheet.

If I can get to a point where these text files are imported into a single spreadsheet with two columns (file_name, content), Ill be golden... I can take care of extracting the accession_number from the file_name, and linking it to the original datasheet in access.

Thanks
Sid.

BlueIshDan

☠
Local time
Today, 05:45
Yes there are ways to import the contents of text files into an excel sheet's specific cells.

BUT

Again, we need to know more about format and how you wish to go about importing these text files.

siddkhar

Local time
These files are in text (. txt) format. These are just sentences, about 2-3 per file. There is no internal structure.

I would like the file name to be in one field, and the contents to be in another field.

Sid

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom