Grouping and sorting Reports (1 Viewer)

megweg79

Local time
Yesterday, 23:49
I have a table for gathering interview scores for candidates from multiple reviewers (example below)

Field1 - RankID
Field2 - Presentation Score
Field3 - Writing Score
Field4 - Applicant Name
etc.

Each applicant will be interviewed by multiple reviewers. I want a report to display the data is grouped by Applicant name, but sorted by Score.

Applicant2 - average presentationscore = 5
Applicant1 - average presentationscore = 4
Applicant3 - average presentationscore 2

it seems simple enough to group by applicant name and sort by PresentationScore, but this does not work. I have used the grouping and sorting feature in every combination I can think of and it always keeps the Applicant Names in order whether I group first on PresentationScore (which will then give me several entries for same applicant) or not. What am I missing?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 01:49
To accomplish the grouping, you need to build a query to do just that. Then base your report off that query and sort it however you want.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:49
Be cautious, Reports have their own sort/group routines and will not use the sort order from an underlying query (necessarily). I say necessarily because there may be some conditions where it will work. All advice I have seen says to use the report's sorting/grouping option.

megweg79

Local time
Yesterday, 23:49
I am using the grouping and sorting in the report settings and it does not appear to work.

I do not see that query sorting carries over to report design very easily.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:49
Can you post a copy of the database? You can remove anything confidential. You should do a compact and repair and then zip your file. I'll take a look.

Expecting sorting to carry over from a query to a report is a common problem/expectation. Most responses suggest that you have to use the report's sorting and grouping.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 01:49
I am using the grouping and sorting in the report settings and it does not appear to work.

Yes, you already state that. Which is why I gave you a another method.

I do not see that query sorting carries over to report design very easily.

Again, follow my method and it will work like you want.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:49
It would make things much clearer if megweg79 uploads a spreadsheet containing the before (i.e. raw data) and the after (i.e. how s/he would like it to be) in a spreadsheet.

Zip the document and upload it by clicking on the "Go Advanced" button below and looking for "Manage Attachments".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom