Thank god stupid xmas is over (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 14:38
Perhaps now things can get back to normal.
A good start would be to lose those stupid charity adverts on the TV. Stray animals, homeless losers, donkeys mistreated, monkeys mistreated, starving in Syria, starving in India, children sleeping on streets, dopey girls aged 6 walking miles for a bucket of dirty water etc etc etc - the list is endless.

Do these people think we have a bottomless pit of money? They should work for their money like I did. Go to any town centre in the UK and you practically fall over people begging for money, most are professional beggars with a BMW round the corner and a nice big house.

Then you have religion rammed down your throat, if it means so much to people, why does the fighting and wars continue? Why is there so much killing in the USA? It's supposed to be a christian country, yet americans will continue to say grace at meals and hate their next door neighbour, and happily kill anyone who steps near the picket fence.

Happy new year? No, just the same as any other.

Col

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 10:38
It'll definitely be back to normal as long as you stick around to spread your holiday cheer. :D

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Why is there so much killing in the USA? It's supposed to be a christian country, yet americans will continue to say grace at meals and hate their next door neighbour, and happily kill anyone who steps near the picket fence.
That is strange. On this side of the pond after we put on our MAGA hats, get out our bible, and fire off our guns, we ask why there are so many men in Essex England going around riding their motor cycles and sodomizing young boys and stray animals? I guess we get a different news feed and perspective of world events over here. Not sure if that is true, just what we see on the news over here. You guys really need to work on that problem.

Merry Xmas, God Bless Colin and God bless America.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:38
Ah, Colin, back to true form I see.

You know what? I almost agree with you on the shameless advertising for charities. My wife and I have selected the charities to which we make our donations AND the amount to which we limit our donations. We have researched their overhead rate - and their misdirected funds rate. We give to some local charities that are of the "feed the elderly, infirm, poor children, and afflicted" type. The rest of those beg-a-thons need to clean up their act before they will get any of our money.

I have seen interviews on the news in which some of those street beggars takes down a higher yearly amount than some of our elementary school teachers. They disgust me.

I am not without charity - but I direct it to where I think it will do the most good. The rest of that advertising is wasteful. They would do better to do without the expensive TV time and instead use posters. The cost per exposure rate is much better.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:38
My wife and I have selected the charities to which we make our donations AND the amount to which we limit our donations.
I mean really, isn't that what we are suppose do.

Perhaps now things can get back to normal
Sorry there never was a "normal" just an illusion.

Try turning off the tele and taking the misses for an old fashioned walk. That would be as close to normal as any of us could ever hope for.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
It just makes me so cross when I read that the charities chairmen are on over £100,000 a year, they have posh offices in central London and the so called volunteers spend the money on prostitutes. All paid for by the gullible public. Very little money (average 4p in every 100) goes where it should.
Yet they expect you to give 2,3,4 pounds per month on a bank transfer or in the case of Salvation Army they want £19 per month.
To be fair though, it is a brilliant racket to get free millions.

It is sad to see the pictures, if they are real and not staged. I suppose as long as people fall for it they will continue to live the life of Riley on donated money.

MajP - I live in Essex but haven't yet heard about the stories you mention, and I ride a motorcycle, I must keep an eye out for it.

Col

Vassago

Local time
I love the Salvation Army simply because they've helped my family and I've actually done work with them. I've seen the help they provide and the good they do first hand, because I helped them give it. I loaded trucks and handed out goods. I helped set up the Angel Trees and bagged toys for the kids. While they may be a Christian organization and I'm no longer a member because it's religion and I can't be bothered, I still give to them every year.

And forget about what some posh executive says about the gay and lesbian community. My church had a very open lesbian officer with a high rank within the organization and I've personally handed more goods than I can count to people, regardless of their orientation, race, religion, whatever! Their charity and even the individual churches do not discriminate.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
In the UK we have what we call "charity fatigue" where the adverts on the TV and in the papers etc actually have the reverse effect of their aim. People ignore them.

It is no longer shocking to see starving kids die, or people struggling after a natural disaster, plus, there are so many different charities trying to get their grubby mitts on your money people don't bother to give. Add to that the uncertainty of Brexit and living costs people hang on to their money.

Contrary to the impression I gave, many charities do excellent work, especially the Salvation Army and animal ones their work at the front line is something I couldn't do, but I can help a little by giving.

It just annoys me that everywhere you look, someone is after your money, TV, newspapers, on the street, in bus shelters, cold calls at home, dodgy texts etc etc.
Is it any wonder we have become hardened to it all?

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Is it any wonder we have become hardened to it all?

Col, despite our differences, I have to say that I agree completely with this sentiment. The constant mantra of "gimme, gimme, gimme mo' money" becomes an overriding screech that prevents any true charities from getting their message out. It would be GREAT if the real charities started publishing the overhead rates of their competitors, sort of a "self policing" of the charity industry. The fun that would start might actually be entertaining.

Vassago

Local time
I agree. I will not donate to the ASPCA simply because of Sarah McLachlan and the sad animal pictures. You can't guilt me into donating. Instead of showing me that stuff, show me what you will do with the money. Show me your operations. Explain it in detail. If you instead force me to watch these awful things without giving any background on what my money will actually go towards, you will not get a dime from me.

We also have these stupid charities that send you a dollar and tell you that this dollar can be used to feed a kid for a week in a starving country... then why the hell did you send it to me??? I understand that they are trying to get people to sign up to send a dollar regularly, but they can't possibly be getting a good return on something this asinine.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The last three times someone sent us money using this, I pocketed the cash and shredded the reply envelope.

Vassago

Local time
The last three times someone sent us money using this, I pocketed the cash and shredded the reply envelope.

Same. I donate to the charities I believe in already.

Apparently this kind of campaigning actually results in positive inflow according to some articles I've read. I wouldn't have imagined. Maybe people feel guilty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom