Win7 to Win10 Clients form slow load (1 Viewer)

rgwfly

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:13
OK did some searching but cannot find anything that's worked so far.
I created accdb with backend tables. converted to accde for users.
Problem is their forms are really slow to load and take forever. I've narrowed it down to I am running Windows 7 but the end clients are running Windows 10 - go figure. this seems to be the common denominator. I even tried leaving them as accdb to see if they would load quicker without much luck.:banghead:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Are you using a "persistent connection" to the data (back end) file?

rgwfly

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. Are you using a "persistent connection" to the data (back end) file?

I am not familiar with the persistent connection. I will do a bit of research.

rgwfly

Registered User.
Local time
OK I did a bit of research on the persistent connection. I installed a code that should run it on the open form event. However I am not sure it is working. I would expect to see the record locking of the back end to stay locked. Not seeing this.
I will look at the link from CJ
Yes am on the same network as my clients. 3 clients with Win 7 runs fine. 4 clients with win 10 runs very slow.

Last edited:

rgwfly

Registered User.
Local time
Ok I found different code to run. I set up a public function. I am trying to call this on the main form opening but it keeps erroring our. "Object Not found"
Any help here?

Code:
Public Sub proPConn(booLink As Boolean)
Dim stFileName As String
stFileName = stpath & "[URL="file://\\Equipment\Prodcnt\Databases\Developer\MasterData\RTMgmtDemo_be.accdb"]\\Equipment\Prodcnt\Databases\Developer\MasterData\RTMgmtDemo_be.accdb[/URL]" & stDBFile
If booLink = True Then
Set dbsObj = OpenDatabase(stFileName)
Else
dbsObj.Close
End If
End Sub

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Sorry for the delay. If you had a persistent connection, then yes, you should see the locking file show up for the BE. Although you can use code to create a persistent connection, it can be created by simply opening a hidden form bound to a table in the BE. The problem with the code you just posted might have something to do with the path you're using for the file. Try to do a Debug.Print stFileName and see if you have a valid file path. I suspect you can remove both variables stpath and stDBFile from your code.

rgwfly

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. Sorry for the delay. If you had a persistent connection, then yes, you should see the locking file show up for the BE. Although you can use code to create a persistent connection, it can be created by simply opening a hidden form bound to a table in the BE. The problem with the code you just posted might have something to do with the path you're using for the file. Try to do a Debug.Print stFileName and see if you have a valid file path. I suspect you can remove both variables stpath and stDBFile from your code.

Thank you,
After some research. I really think I was over complicating this. I ended up creating a hidden form which opens in the background by autoexec. This was so easy to do.
I did notice a bit of speed increase on my Win 7 matching. but the Win 10 clients are still very slow. I may need to look at speeding up the form queries. Will still look at code options as well.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:13
If your forms are bound to queries that are pulling in lots of records, but you only see 1 record (Single form rather than continuous) then it may be worth loading those with no records until the end user enters some search criteria.

Obviously this approach very much depends on the business / end use of your database.

I have a very complicated form that is used to view many fields from about 16 related tables in a similar number of sub forms. The underlying recordset would be approx 250000 top level records, with upwards of a 1,000,000 potential underlying records in some of the sub forms.

Because I only load the form with a "blank" record (e.g primary key field = 0) and also don't load the sub forms until they are required it loads in about 1 second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom