Make advanced post editor the default 6 46.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2017, 06:06 AM   #46
ridders
AWF VIP
Gold Supporter

ridders will become famous soon enough ridders will become famous soon enough
Re: Site suggestions poll

Yes I think you are right about that particular poster.
Moderators already have 'secret ways' of managing such individuals!

However there is no point in anyone doing that - they can upload zip files from post 1

BTW This poll has now closed 'officially'
Many of the ideas have now been added to the forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Tapatalk

If this answer has helped, please click the Thanks button and/or click the 'reputation' scales symbol on the left and leave a comment. Cheers!
ridders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:43 AM   #47
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo has a spectacular aura about Uncle Gizmo has a spectacular aura about Uncle Gizmo has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccessBlaster View Post
How about a new member who is forced to post nonsensical posts in order to raise their post counts. Lena01 seems to be doing it right now.
Before I was a moderator I would have agreed with you. However now I get to moderate, I have to disagree with you. It is a very effective deterrent. The Forum gets very little spam from people joining for the purpose of spamming.

New posters and spammers both have to make 10 posts before they can post a link.

The other thing is, it's so rewarding! I just love watching the spammers come here and start posting their 10 nonsensical messages. I wait until they get to number 9 number 10, then number 11 with the spam in it! This confirms your suspicion they are a spammer. You delete everything they have spent the last couple of hours doing, A super effective deterrent, great fun for moderators with a vindictive streak such as myself...

Ask yourself how much Spam do you see on the forum? Rhetorical question, next to none. I see other forums just loaded with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Join My YouTube Channel ---
Hundereds of MS Access Videos!!!!!
Uncle Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:56 AM   #48
ridders
AWF VIP
Gold Supporter

Hi Tony

And I was trying to keep your secret ways secret...!

, Tapatalk

If this answer has helped, please click the Thanks button and/or click the 'reputation' scales symbol on the left and leave a comment. Cheers!
Old 07-24-2017, 07:15 AM   #49
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 3,602 Times in 3,546 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Gizmo View Post
great fun for moderators with a vindictive streak such as myself...
It must be a job requirement. It is fun when you can ban them while they're posting.

pbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pbaldy For This Useful Post:
Uncle Gizmo (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 03:48 AM   #50
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo has a spectacular aura about Uncle Gizmo has a spectacular aura about Uncle Gizmo has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I want this site as friction free as possible.
That is a very succinct way of summing up why I am here.

I have tried other MS Access forums and some of the conditions imposed on you... well..

As for stack overflow I tried to get traction on there and actually deleted my account, well as far as I could. I had to reinstate it because it was the only place I could get useful information on Google apps script.

There's nothing out there like this forum for apps script and Python, not that I found yet anyway..

Join My YouTube Channel ---
Hundereds of MS Access Videos!!!!!
Uncle Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Gizmo For This Useful Post:
Jon (07-27-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 04:46 AM   #51
ridders
AWF VIP
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Gizmo View Post
That is a very succinct way of summing up why I am here.

I have tried other MS Access forums and some of the conditions imposed on you... well..

As for stack overflow I tried to get traction on there and actually deleted my account, well as far as I could. I had to reinstate it because it was the only place I could get useful information on Google apps script.

There's nothing out there like this forum for apps script and Python, not that I found yet anyway..
I agree totally.
I joined several other forums before this one but in different ways found all the others less than satisfactory.
The worst in my view is 'Experts Exchange' - see my comment in post #34
, Tapatalk

Old 07-25-2017, 05:31 AM   #52
The_Doc_Man
AWF VIP

The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all

Colin, I have to agree about "Experts Exchange." I joined it for a problem related to Outlook on my home network. When I scanned some of the other posts, I saw some links by Pat Hartman, who is of course a long-time member here, so I thought it might be OK. I eventually solved the problem myself because their experts were not as helpful as I had hoped. No disrespect intended to any of them; it was just a problem requiring registry twiddling and they didn't appear to want to go there.

This forum continues to have what I consider to be the best group of contributors of the lot that I have seen out there. That is why I remain here even though retired. It keeps me mentally active and in communication, however tenuous, with highly technical people.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:36 AM   #53
ridders
AWF VIP
Gold Supporter

Apart from anything else, I doubt any other forum owner would have responded to the contents of a thread like this.

Another reason why my main activity is this site.
I still look at others but much less often

, Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to ridders For This Useful Post:
Jon (07-27-2017)

Tags
site suggestions poll

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: