Grouping fields toegther in a query (1 Viewer)

mounty76

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:22
Hello!

I have the below query that groups all courses with a count of less than 20 together and calls them 'Others'

SELECT IIf([CountOfCourse Name]<20,"Other",[Course Name]) AS Course, Sum([sub1-5].[CountOfCourse Name]) AS CourseTotal
FROM [sub1-5]
GROUP BY IIf([CountOfCourse Name]<20,"Other",[Course Name]);

I want this query to also do some other grouping.....In addition to the above I want it to also group any course names A and B and C together and call them 'ROPAX Courses', additionally I'd like it to also group Z and X and Y and call them 'Basic Training'

I've tried a few things and just cannot make it happen.....any ideas :) :banghead:

Thanks in advance!

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 13:22
SELECT Switch([Course Name] In ("A","B","C"),"ROPAX Courses",[Course Name] In ("X","Y","Z"),"Basic Training",[CountOfCourse Name]<20 And [Course Name] Not In ("A","B","C","X","Y","Z"),"Other",True,[Course Name]) AS Course, Sum([CountOfCourse Name]) As CourseTotal FROM [sub1-5] GROUP BY Switch([Course Name] In ("A","B","C"),"ROPAX Courses",[Course Name] In ("X","Y","Z"),"Basic Training",[CountOfCourse Name]<20 And [Course Name] Not In ("A","B","C","X","Y","Z"),"Other",True,[Course Name])

mounty76

Registered User.
Local time
arnelgp....works perfectly! Thank you so much

mounty76

Registered User.
Local time
Do you happen to know how to make a query that takes the 'Other' results and expands (de-groups) them back out to what they were originally?

arnelgp

Local time
The Switch function takes two parameter, the first one the condition , the other one the return value. Find the 3rd condition and remove its together with its pair value.

mounty76

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry arnelgp, I'm lost a little bit with this....

mounty76

Registered User.
Local time
I should have maybe been more clear, I want to make a query that only shows the 'Other' courses, but instead of calling them 'Other' I want them to be their original course names

arnelgp

Local time
Syntax:
Switch (cond1,retvalue1,cond2,retvalue2,cond3,retvalue3,...)

Find cond3, delete it together with its return value. Do it also in Group by.

arnelgp

Local time
SELECT Switch([Course Name] In ("A","B","C"),"ROPAX Courses",[Course Name] In ("X","Y","Z"),"Basic Training",True,[Course Name]) AS Course, Sum([CountOfCourse Name]) As CourseTotal SELECT Switch([Course Name] In ("A","B","C"),"ROPAX Courses",[Course Name] In ("X","Y","Z"),"Basic Training",[CountOfCourse Name]<20 And [Course Name] Not In ("A","B","C","X","Y","Z"),"Other",True,[Course Name]) AS Course, Sum([CountOfCourse Name]) As CourseTotal FROM [sub1-5] GROUP BY Switch([Course Name] In ("A","B","C"),"ROPAX Courses",[Course Name] In ("X","Y","Z"),"Basic Training",[CountOfCourse Name]<20 And [Course Name] Not In ("A","B","C","X","Y","Z"),"Other",True,[Course Name])
se Name] In ("A","B","C"),"ROPAX Courses",[Course Name] In ("X","Y","Z"),"Basic Training",True,[Course Name])

mounty76

Registered User.
Local time
OK cool, I got that. Is there a way in the same query that it can delete/not show any results from the groups ROPAX Courses and Basic Safety Courses and any other course with a count over 20?

It works if I just put a criteria of <20 in the count box but this wouldn't work for when I do a query for say just the ROPAX courses so ideally would want to remove these 'returned groups' altogether if possible?

arnelgp

Local time
you know i am a little bit confused too,
and my Access as well (its hanging up on me, LOL).

nothing personal, i haven't seen your Profile.
are you a she or a he. you are always changing
your mind.

saved your query to a different name and for
sure, if you change your mind again, you have
something to go back with.

seriously what is the condition >20 or <20?

are we applying it to the "whole" group or
individually (eg. for A only, for B only,
for X only, etc).

arnelgp

Local time
you know i am a little bit confused too,
and my Access as well (its hanging up on me, LOL).

nothing personal, i haven't seen your Profile.
are you a she or a he. you are always changing
your mind.

saved your query to a different name and for
sure, if you change your mind again, you have
something to go back with.

seriously what is the condition >20 or <20?

are we applying it to the "whole" group or
individually (eg. for A only, for B only,
for X only, etc).

mounty76

Registered User.
Local time
hahaha! I'm a he but the amount of times I'm changing my mind I could be a she!

Sorry....I made the db to initially be very simple but you know how these things go, I then made a report to show pie charts but the db only had 4 months data in, when I added the rest of the data for the year the pie chart wasn't readable! So hence I've had to filter my results down and then create 4 pie charts to show the data sensibly

I was having a melt down....so my last question was rubbish, I've done it now, thanks again for all your help

Cheers
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom