Folder Size discrepency?? (1 Viewer)

Access_guy49

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:34
I am running Windows 7pro.
When I go to my Harddrive and select the "windows" folder, i can select properties, I get a folder size of 21.9GB on the disk.

Ok fine,

If I then go into the folder and select all Items within the windows folder. (ctrl + A) And then select properties, I get a different Size on disk of 15.9GB?!?!?

I have the settings set to display hidden folders and files.

Outside the number of files in the folder reads as 77,000 and change...
Inside, it reads as 72,000 and change.
Does anyone know where the heck the other files are? and why I can't see them?

Page files are stored on another drive, i'm fresh out of ideas.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 00:34
The parent folder shows the size of hidden files and folders that it contains. When you <Ctrl>+A inside the parent folder you do not select those hidden files and folders.
In the Folder Options->View->Advanced Settings tree, you can un-'Hide protected operating system files' and you can 'Show hidden files, folders and drives' and your <Ctrl>+A size will match the parent folder size.
Cheers,

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:34
un-'Hide protected operating system files' and you can 'Show hidden files, folders and drives'

Though of course remember they are hidden and protected for a reason ;)

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 00:34
Though of course remember they are hidden and protected for a reason ;)

Yeah, to protect from bonehead guys like me back in 1992 when I was using my friend's computer. I was cleaning out files we no longer needed when I came across this large one and thought - we never use this - so I deleted it and my friend's computer became a brick. The file I deleted??? :D It was Progman.exe (the program manager). Was a very embarrassing experience for sure. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom