Network Computer Restrictions (1 Viewer)

AC5FF

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:04
There may be other forums out there that are more specialized than here, but I love this site...

Is there a way to add restrictions to a network computer such that the particular computer can function over the local network but not access the outside internet? Or, limit the internet down to a few authorized sites?

I've got an employee (soon to be EX if they don't start performing better) that sits at their desk and surfs the internet all day. This person does a great job when they have work to do - I.E. Purchasing/Mail/etc etc, but I have got to do something to limit/stop their internet browsing before they are let go.

Just curious....

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:04
It may be able to be done by your router, but I'm no expert in that area.

It can be done in IE using Tools/Internet Options/Content/Content Advisor. I've used it on computers on our network that I need to be able to get to certain sites to do their jobs, but I don't want them going elsewhere. If memory serves, the allowed sites have to be done logged in as administrator, but play with it and see how it works for you.

rodmc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:04
if your using a proxy server then just remove his permissions from the proxy (if your in a domain this should be straight forward and can be done from Active Directory).

If not, then as pbaldy has said you can block him at the gateway/router. Another method would be to use the management console on his PC and block access to the browser (although, it is possible to access the internet via Windows explorer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom