Cell Merge option has 'greyed-out' ??? (1 Viewer)

Sazzle

Local time
Today, 14:50
Hello everyone,

I cannot figure out what I have done.

I have built a large workbook, with many linked and formatted worksheets; to record and present for look-up client detail accross our business.

My problem is that the 'Format - merge cell' option is grey-ed out, in this specific workbook, on all worksheets.

I have opened other workbooks and the option is availbale. I must have ticked or un-ticked something, but cannot find anything. I have never experienced this before...

Please help as this is driving me potty !
Sazzle

shades

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:50
Howdy.

I'll give my personal opinion, first, then discuss an alternative.

Opinion:

Merged cells should never be used in Excel. Merged cells prevent the use of many valuable tools in Excel, and limit future use/expansion. So, my thought is: good that it is greyed out.

Alternative:

Excel provides the equivalent of merged cells, but does not limit or interfere with any other capabilities: "Center Across Selection". To use it, select the cells that you would normally merge, then go to Format Cells (CTRL + 1), then on Alignment tab, for horizontal, in the dropdown, choose "Center Across Selection". You can also set the border at the same time.

Working in Marketing Analytics and using Excel 9 hours/day, I have not used merged cells in four years (I did the first 18 months because I didn't know of the other capability).

in the long run, this will save considerable time and headaches.

If you have several to do this with, then select those cells that already have the formatting "Center across selection" and border, and then on the toolbar, double click the paintbrush, now go to the uper left cell of every place that will have the same format. When done, click once on the paintbrush.
________

Last edited by a moderator:

shades

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:50
Try this:

In Excel, go to menu: View > Toolbars > Customize. On the last tab of the dialog box ("Options"), you should see "Reset toolbars". Click that button, then close the dialog box. That should bring the functionality back.
________

Last edited by a moderator:

justtryintohelp

Local time
Today, 06:50
Greyed out Merge option figured out!

I just had this issue and found out that my excel worksheet was set to be shared. Apparently this formating function is not available for shared worksheets. Go to Tools>share workbook...> and uncheck the box "allow changes by more than one user..."

Thats what did it for me. If it doesn't work...well...that's all I've got.

-AC

Dan122333

Local time
Today, 09:50
Howdy.

I'll give my personal opinion, first, then discuss an alternative.

Opinion:

Merged cells should never be used in Excel. Merged cells prevent the use of many valuable tools in Excel, and limit future use/expansion. So, my thought is: good that it is greyed out.

Alternative:

Excel provides the equivalent of merged cells, but does not limit or interfere with any other capabilities: "Center Across Selection". To use it, select the cells that you would normally merge, then go to Format Cells (CTRL + 1), then on Alignment tab, for horizontal, in the dropdown, choose "Center Across Selection". You can also set the border at the same time.

Working in Marketing Analytics and using Excel 9 hours/day, I have not used merged cells in four years (I did the first 18 months because I didn't know of the other capability).

in the long run, this will save considerable time and headaches.

If you have several to do this with, then select those cells that already have the formatting "Center across selection" and border, and then on the toolbar, double click the paintbrush, now go to the uper left cell of every place that will have the same format. When done, click once on the paintbrush.
________
Shades, Thanks for these great tips. Taking the workbook out of shared mode was the answer that actually worked for me here, but "center across selection", Ctl-1, and the paintbrush are tips that I'll use everyday!

mslark3

Local time
Today, 06:50
Thank you, Dan122333, you made my day....I wish I'd known about "Center Across Selection", You can also set the border at the same time, and using the paintbrush...never heard that before...Yay!!!! I will be using those a lot.

ngros

Local time
Today, 09:50
Re: Greyed out Merge option figured out!

I just had this issue and found out that my excel worksheet was set to be shared. Apparently this formating function is not available for shared worksheets. Go to Tools>share workbook...> and uncheck the box "allow changes by more than one user..."

Thats what did it for me. If it doesn't work...well...that's all I've got.

-AC

Thank you AC that was the perfect solution!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom