!HELP! Database Design Final Project! Tables, Queries..Very Important! (1 Viewer)

angelikamaj

Local time
Today, 12:53
!HELP Database Design Do you have any critiques? Tables, Queries..Very Important!

Hello,
I have made a database about Phone Store Inventory the description is in the attachments also with the actual database.

Do you have any critiques about that database?

It's small database but I'm not sure how I can improve my database.

I have to say I'm not so good at this that why I need your help.

So my question is what I have to change, improve, add, delete in my database? What queries I can use to impress my teacher?

Also If you have any suggestions regarding my word document which is about requirements/description of that database how I can improve that also...

I didn't do the database Scope diagram that shows the operations or functions that the database project will address and identifies the functions that fall outside of this application. Because I didn't know how to connect that all together so if you have any idea I will be very thankful.. And my Entity Relationship Diagram I'm suspecting is something wrong too..

Requirements and Database are in attachments.

Please help me with this, it is very important for me.

Thank you so much! :)

Attachments

• Description PROJECTT.doc
    99.5 KB · Views: 136
  • PhoneStoreInventoryProject1.accdb
    752 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 15:53
To paraphrase what Plog told someone in a similar situation earlier this week:

We have no problem helping people do their homework on this site, but we will not do that homework FOR them. That especially applies for a final project, as the entire point of the project is to see how well you learned the lessons taught in the class.

That means just asking us to fix or improve your database isn't going to fly. If you ask specific questions about specific things that are stumping you, we will be more than happy to help, be they comments on your normalization or functions that aren't working the way you want. If you just say 'Please fix my database', however, you won't generally get a response at all.

angelikamaj

Local time
Today, 12:53
I'm not saying do it for me because I did it already. But they may be mistakes.

I do not want you do edit this or anything.

Do you have any critiques about that database?

Want I want is help so you can tell me "Oh maybe that inventory and part table should be together instead of two separate tables. Or you suppose to add a Price, quantity etc row to part table which will improve that database"
Maybe you can at least tell me what's wrong and I will figure it out how to fix it. any feedback...

Something like this. I know that you probably did at least couple databases and you are more experienced than me.

This is my FIRST database! So I just want advice, not doing for me. Because for me it looks ok now. But I think my teacher for sure will find something and maybe you can catch whats wrong with this before my teacher will.

You know the thing is this is our first database which we did during whole semester and its a alone final project. Which is ridiculous because he never show us anything during the class like examples in Access how to complete one. We just read the book together in class and that's it! And you know only reading a book and now at the end have hands on a program database it's little confusing. And when I'm asking him something his rude. One day a guy has a question for him and the teacher answered "Google it!" and that's it he doesn't care!. This is definitely my last class with this teacher. So, please just any little feedback I will very appreciate it.

But I understand if you do not want help me with this. So you know any forum etc. where I can ask? Because my teacher will not help me, people from my class are confused also no one knows actually if they are doing it right so any ideas who I can ask for any feedback? Thank you.

Last edited:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Further to what has been said, do you think there is something "wrong" with your database? Here are some standard questions/points to review to "validate" your data base design versus the specification.

If you have understood the assignment, and have identified the business rules -did you create some test data?
Once you created your data model/ERD, did you test it against the business rules and your test data? Were there any discrepancies/anomalies? Did you reconcile every one?
Does your design answer each suggested question posed by the instructions?

If you change the Price of a Product, will it affect any existing Orders?
Can a Customer make more than 1 Order?
Can a Customer Order contain multiple Products?

It isn't that people do not want to help you. We see all sorts of questions/situations here. Learning, whether data base or any other subject, requires your active participation. If you have followed the basic concepts and have reached some sort of impasse, then highlight what you have done; what specifically is Not working for you and pose a question. But as has been said, please review my database is extremely open ended.

A data base that meets the specifications and can produce the requested outputs would seem to satisfy the assignment.

Good luck with your project.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 20:53
To the other contributions I'd like to add this:

Do not knock your teacher's predilection for Google, there is method in the madness :D

When most of us veterans learned, we were on our own. Information searches at that time was something you had a budget for and had to order in advance. Now? You have immense resources at your fingertips, so learning how to use them is just as important as learning the specifics of any particular subject. Learn how to find information efficiently: identify the specific key words characterising your particular issue, search and narrow the search.

You'll find that your problems are not unique and 90 % have been dealt with by others - use that, instead of stepping on the same mines as your predecessors. Find new mines to step on!

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
As presented, your teacher doesn't sound too incredibly helpful, but spikepl has a definite point: it's at least as important that you be able to find out how to do something as it is to know the basics. At some point you may be asked to create a self-updating project tracking system using a DSN-less connection to a MySQL backend, for example, and your boss will not be amused if the answer is 'sorry, never heard of it'. TBQH, I even use Google to see if there's already existing code out there I can borrow and adapt rather than spending the time to write it out myself.

That said, what do YOU think is wrong with your database? Where do you think it could be improved, and why? In what areas are you not happy with its execution? Are you worried your normalization isn't correct? Does it run slowly when calling up a certain report?

Things like these will give people starting points, and as you've said you're not actually STUCK, that will increase the odds of someone being able to give you the assistance you're requesting.

I literally cannot critique your database - not only does my workplace have a policy against downloading files (security issues), but we only have Access 2003 here, meaning I literally cannot do anything with an accdb file.

Also, I see you removed the line about this being for a class, and that it determines if you pass or fail. I'd suggest being honest about that, rather than hiding it. Believe it or not, we understand the stress that can cause. :D

Edit: Also, there is one rule we ask you to respect. If you post your request on multiple forums (such as your duplicate thread over on dBforums), please say so. You're asking people who are volunteering their time to potentially duplicate work someone else is doing, and it's only fair for people to know that up front.

Last edited:

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Okay, now that I'm home and looking at it, some comments:

• Where are the forms?
  • Your tables are not normalized, even if you disregard the HebronCustomers table.
  • Your queries are not useful - they are hard coded to insert/pull one pre-specified record or piece of data.
  • Why are you using a make-table query for simple data selection?
  • At least one table is missing at least one field vital for its listed purpose.

There were a bunch of other things I could list, as well, but one question: does your teacher actually expect you to include pre-set queries that automatically do ONLY the one thing he/she asked for, or does your teacher want you to simply build in the capacity to do what he or she asked for? There is a huge difference between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom