Why Vb.net? (1 Viewer)

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Today, 09:10
I'm gaining experience with VBA, having written a few complex programs within Access, and I'm wondering what I could benefit from if I were to spend the time learning VB.net. I would most likely use VS Express , and possibly SQL Server Express.

I understand that with VB.net, I could write a true stand alone program. This may prove beneficial, but what else am I missing? Does it have better debugging tools? Better Deployment, etc?

Thanks for any insight!

AbbottF

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:10
Short answer - VBA is an "old" language with many symantic limitations. On the other hand, it is so well integrated into the Office product line that many of the data handling details required in VB.Net programming are handled under the covers in VBA. This makes it a much easier language to get up to speed with.
VB.Net , although it looks similar to VBA, requires a new mind set based in Object Oriented programming.
Although I am now primarily a C# programmer, I still do VBA and VB.Net. Coding in VBA makes me feel like I'm coding with one hand tied behind my back.
For future opportunities, you might want to try writing and existing Access project in VB.Net ... you can use the same Acces mdb tables and data as the DataSource using ADO.Net for your VB.Net application. This will let you see the REAL language differences as they relate to you.

Good luck. It will be a great career choice.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:10
The .NET languages are compiled while VBA is iterpreted. This makes .NET able to be run directly in the Common Language Runtime that is native to Windows instead of having to install Access Runtime. This also makes .NET considerably faster.

VBA is single threaded while .NET can run multiple threads.

goJimH

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:10
I don't have great experience in VBA but am here because I use Vb Net with Ms Access.

There is a learning curve - but it is a lot easier and more powerful that it was back in Net 2003.

I use Visual Studio 2010 Professional. And find the debugger to be very powerful and you can add a host of extension tools to make your life easier.

As far as Deployment - they have a "Click Once" deployment which I have not used but in Theory - your users machines will automatically update to the updates you post.

The other Windows Forms deployment can get complicated unless you use it in its most basic form. In it's basic form - it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. And pretty fast. Catch is - users need to uninstall previous version - the install the new version.

delikedi

Registered User.
Local time
I've started using VBA and Access simultaneously, about a year ago, due to a project I was tasked to do. The project was about a database, but it evolved a lot very fast, into a departmental application. Along the line, I shifted to use unbound forms because I found myself unable to do some things due to Access' default behaviors, and also to have better control and better multi-user performance. That means setting up an Access-like data retrieval and manipulation platform, instead of what Access already provided. I really did develop a system that organized data manipulation and retrieval, and not surprisingly, it had objects wih properties that resembled Access' built-in objects and properties. I was told I would be far better off doing that in VB.NET. In the end, I believe what I ended up developing using VBA inside Access is the ancestor of the future application that I will build in VB.NET.

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Wow Guys! Thanks so much for the responses so far. I like the idea that it will process faster, and the stronger debugging. I also have a few questions:

1. I assume that in VB.net through Visual Studio, all my forms would be unbound?

2. A VB.net solution will not need an access runtime, even if it is using Access as a Back End db?

3. Will other form controls be available that aren't native to access? such as Tree views, spinners, etc.?

4. What about charts? Will I have stronger charting options? the native Access Charts are a bit weak, compared to Excel.

Thanks!

AbbottF

Registered User.
Local time
1. True. You're in control of the binding.
2. No access runtime. You'll probably want to use the entity framework, which makes db access more structured.
3. So many MS controls plus those from Infragitics and the like.
4. I use the Infragistics charts and grids. They are the fastest on the market. There are also components that let you chart with visualizations over time.

goJimH

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:10
AbbottF got your answers covered.

Best of Luck!

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
They are the fastest on the market. There are also components that let you chart with visualizations over time.

AbbottF,
Maybe I'm hard headed but I don't quite grasp what you're saying....Should I take this as it processes faster than a normal control? Also, what is the "chart with visualizations" bit?

Thanks,
Gary

bparker1084

Local time
VB.NET contains a systematic collection of classes and objects. It comes with so many built-in classes which are ready to be used. So it is easier to write in VB.net then Visual Basic.

AbbottF

Registered User.
Local time
More to the fact, VB.Net is truly object oriented. It supports inheritance and as bparker1084 mentioned, it has access to ALL the .net framework classes including generics. The transition from Access to VB.Net is not trivial, since Access handles many data and from functions "under the covers" requiring more work in VB.Net to product an equivalent solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom