Adding names to a table from a visitor log book for future use (1 Viewer)

jjake

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:01
Hello,

I have 3 tables,

tblDailyLog
DailyLogID | LogDate

tblVisitorInfo
VisitorID | VisitorName | CompanyName | TrainingDate

tblVisitorLog
LogID | VisitorName | TimeIn | Time Out

I'm using 2 Forms

[frmDailyLog] from [tblDailyLog] with a continuous subform [frmVisitorLog]

I have entered several names into tblvisitorinfo which uses a lookup field to pull data for reoccuring visitors. is there a way for a user to enter a new name into the log field as they sign in so it is saved for future visits with a unique ID without having to open a new form for a new visitor.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:01
Where would you want them to enter CompanyName and TrainingDate if a form is not opened? Yes, can have UNBOUND textboxes on VisitorLog and use VBA that runs an INSERT action SQL.

jjake

Registered User.
Local time
Where would you want them to enter CompanyName and TrainingDate if a form is not opened? Yes, can have UNBOUND textboxes on VisitorLog and use VBA that runs an INSERT action SQL.

Good point,

Maybe if the user types their name into the visitor field and the user is not found it would give a message box to open a form and create a new visitor?

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
This is what the NotInList event of combobox is for. But if you are not using combobox then use textbox BeforeUpdate event to validate input.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 04:01
One item to watch out for...
John Doe with ABC company comes in.
John Doe types in his name.

Program finds John Doe with GiantHumungous Incorporated.

What do you want the program to do?

jjake

Registered User.
Local time
If the visitor has the same name as another visitor of a different company then they should be treated as a new visitor and thus pop up the form to add new visitor information. if they are the same person now working for a different company it should be treated the same way.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:01
This sounds like a good idea, but isn't.

I walk in and can simply scroll though a list of everyone that has ever visited your company. Including my competitors, other possible contract bidders etc.

Unless this in control of someone in your company don't do it. I suspect you'd have to ask their permission to store their details as well.

jjake

Registered User.
Local time
Currently visitors sign themselves in using a paper log.

The plan is that the receptionist shall sign in all visitors using the database and verify if they have been trained or not within a certain time frame. if they haven't been trained within this period the database will notify the receptionist that the visitor must attend training first.

jjake

Registered User.
Local time
I walk in and can simply scroll though a list of everyone that has ever visited your company. Including my competitors, other possible contract bidders etc.

On another note this raises another question for me, is it possible to use a lookupfield that can be typed in to suggest names in the database but doesn't actually allow scrolling through the names?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:01
There is a "find as you type" code sample somewhere here that might help you.

Mark_

Local time
@June7
Depending on the number of visitors, scrolling could take far longer than simply typing.

@jjake
How many "visitors" do you normally have daily?
Also how do you define "visitor"?

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Yes, but combobox allows both. It matches as typed and also allows scrolling a list, without VBA.

jjake

Registered User.
Local time
@jjake
How many "visitors" do you normally have daily?
Also how do you define "visitor"?

it can vary, maybe 10-15.

I have a visitor type table which determines,

Visitor - Someone visiting
Vendor - Someone Providing a service or delivery
Contractor - Someone performing work

Mark_

Local time
@ June7,
The biggest down side to having a drop down is that end users will use it especially when it becomes excessively large. Having done custom work for clients, one of the important parts of my job was watching how the end users actually used the software I was working on. I've seen users spend over a minute scrolling through a list to find the correct selection. They did this even when they could have spent two or three seconds typing it in.

@ jjake,
Do you have a file for expected visitors or do people just... show up... as the norm?
If you have a list of the 10-15 people you expect, a drop down would not only make perfect sense for that small number, it also means you'd want a way to look up the one or two who do just show up.

What is the normal flow for people coming and going? Do they normally schedule to come in first? As you are automating this, will you need to report on "Scheduled VS unscheduled" visitors?

I've seen a few of these types of "Simple" projects grown far beyond what you were originally asked for, and very quickly. Putting in some additional functionality early can help later. Since you do have vendors and contractors, I'm guessing they will also (soon) be tracked the same way? Also, are you able to dictate how the program will be used or are you not in charge of the end user?

jjake

Registered User.
Local time
Do you have a file for expected visitors or do people just... show up... as the norm? There is no file except a generic schedule/calender

What is the normal flow for people coming and going? Do they normally schedule to come in first? As you are automating this, will you need to report on "Scheduled VS unscheduled" visitors?

Visitors
-They can be both expected and unexpected depending on the circumstance, but it doesn't really matter which type they fall under,

Vendors-They usually show up on a regular scheduled interval but the person themselves can vary week to week

Contractors-Can sometimes show up on a daily basis for months depending on the work load and can also vary depending on the company

Since you do have vendors and contractors, I'm guessing they will also (soon) be tracked the same way? Also, are you able to dictate how the program will be used or are you not in charge of the end user? I can help dictate this yes. i work for the company this program is being developed for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom