Dates change by a week from Access to SPSS (1 Viewer)

Soot

Local time
Today, 13:51
I am experiencing a curious issue when importing data from Access 2016 (32-bit) to SPSS 24 (32-bit). The Access database contains historical dates, ranging from 1582 to 1800. Although SPSS correctly recognizes each variable that has a date-property (and therefore does not label them with a string-property), the program systematically introduces a change in the dates between the two programs. For example, the 6th of December 1729 in Access is converted in SPSS as the 30th of November 1729. The difference between the dates are the largest in 1582 (42 days) and then decreases by a day every four years until the difference is the smallest in 1753 (1 day). After 1753, the Access-dates are correctly transferred into SPSS.

Firstly, I do not know why SPSS has wrongfully labelled 1581 (and subsequently 1585, 1589, etc.) as leap years. Historically, the leap years were 1584, 1588, etc. Second, I do not understand why SPSS has introduced this issue and leaves it be until the situation corrects itself in 1753. Is there a change I can make in Access to prevent this issue? Is there a way to correct SPSS and its understanding of leap years? Is there another solution to this issue?

Thanks in advance!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:51
Here is your history lesson .... :)

The reason is almost certainly caused by the calendar changing from Julian to Gregorian.

Much of Europe changed in 1582 but the UK didn't like these new fangled ideas and didn't change till 1752.
When the UK finally did so 11 days were 'lost' form the calendar leading to the 'Give Us Our Eleven Days' calendar riots of 1752.

For example, see https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Give-us-our-eleven-days/

I suspect that Access & SPSS have used different criteria for determining the correct dates between 1582 and 1752
As to how you convert correctly, you'll either need to write a conversion algorithm or hope someone else has already done so.

Soot

Local time
That sounds very credible, thank you for this interesting suggestion (and history lesson :) ).

It is a shame, however, that this historical reality introduces incorrect data when transferring my Access-data to SPSS..

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:51
That sounds very credible, thank you for this interesting suggestion (and history lesson :) ).

It is a shame, however, that this historical reality introduces incorrect data when transferring my Access-data to SPSS..

Strictly speaking it hasn't because the 'correct' date just depends on whichever calendar has been chosen as being 'correct'.
If you want to retain the dates from one program to the other, suggest you save the dates as text then convert back after importing.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 05:51
WARNING: Reality is chaotic, changes without warning, and is not suitable for everyone. Talk to your doctor or health professional before attempting to represent reality in a structure data system.

Soot

Local time
Strictly speaking it hasn't because the 'correct' date just depends on whichever calendar has been chosen as being 'correct'.
If you want to retain the dates from one program to the other, suggest you save the dates as text then convert back after importing.

I will do so, thank you again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom