peculiar behaviour -record added but calc not triggered til go into table for a look (1 Viewer)

Rachael

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:48
Hi all, am having a strange problem!!

Access 2010 - split into a front and back end

In an invoicing form that calcs wine sales and therefore GST and WET tax it seems that some users are adding a record and all the correct percentages etc for the calcs are being added correctly to the backend but the form and report aren't displaying the calculations and therefore the total. It seems to be a random issue but more peculiar to some users. If I take a copy of their backend and put on my laptop I get the problem but if I go into the backend datafile into the actual table and check the record is displaying it should it looks fine. The strange thing is then when I go back to the form and report to check it the calcs are appearing. It's like by opening the table its triggering something!!!! wtf lol

Has anyone ever encountered this type of peculiar behaviour?

Have imported, compacted etc etc done all the usual things that normally get any wonky things out but still doing it.

Thanks in advance, Rachael

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:48
Hi Rachel. Not sure it’s possible to tell you what’s going on with your database without seeing it. Most of the time when I see an out of synched data, it’s when the form or report is open while the table is getting updated elsewhere.

Rachael

Registered User.
Local time
Yeah, was thinking that might be a thought, just seems weird that it happens to only some people and that all the data is there for the calc to happen but it just doesnt calculate until either I trigger something like go into and out of the table or I've since noted that if i simple overtype a piece of info into the form of that record it seems to trigger the calc to work (since I work remotely from other users on my own development copy I would not have problems with others in the program at same time)

Thanks heaps for your reply too :)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:48
Yeah, was thinking that might be a thought, just seems weird that it happens to only some people and that all the data is there for the calc to happen but it just doesnt calculate until either I trigger something like go into and out of the table or I've since noted that if i simple overtype a piece of info into the form of that record it seems to trigger the calc to work (since I work remotely from other users on my own development copy I would not have problems with others in the program at same time)

Thanks heaps for your reply too :)

You might try, if possible, to force a save and recalc each time data is changed.

Rachael

Registered User.
Local time
is it possible that the offending record which is added by an append query is kinda not saved?

So when an invoice is created an append query adds the invoice number and details to a table, it then adds a standard category heading via vba using the 'LastIdentity' thingy to get the primary key to the next linked table, it then adds a subcategory using the same method to a third table and is then ready to add the wine items. Could the say the subcategory record kinda not be recognised until you atleast enter it via a form or actually go into the table?

It seems that in my invoicing form if I click down through each subform the calcs work but if i dont and just simply run the report then calcs dont work

Bit bizarre I think

Rachael

Registered User.
Local time
PS this only seems to happen randomly not all the time and some users it never happens hence one guy is sick of being the invoice enterer lol

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:48
Your data on a form or report has opened a recordset behind the scenes. This recordset is like a data snapshot in that the system queries your source and makes a hidden list of all records condoned by the query at the time you opened that object. That list allows for more rapid navigation under normal circumstances. You will see old data in the snapshot until you do something to navigate or refresh the underlying recordset, or until the system's automated requery kicks in.

The automatic requery rate is controlled from a developer screen found starting from the ribbon: File >> Options >> Current Database, then scroll down for the auto-refresh interval. By default it is something like 30 seconds IIRC.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:48
Doc
The automatic requery rate is controlled from a developer screen found starting from the ribbon: File >> Options >> Current Database, then scroll down for the auto-refresh interval. By default it is something like 30 seconds IIRC.

I thought it was where you indicate but the PC I am sitting at, has Access 365 (2016) and the setting is in Client Settings/Advanced. This one default setting applies to all Access databases running on the machine.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:48
Never played with Ac365 so if they moved it, I can't say I'm surprised.

Isn't 365 the one where you download the s/w and are essentially leasing it? Perhaps they moved it to that location because on the leased version, you don't have a place to keep that for each app. I don't know, but it would make sense that they divorced the settings from the individual apps if they treated the software as a service. That way, if your service lapses but then gets renewed, they can remember your prior settings.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:48
Isn't 365 the one where you download the s/w and are essentially leasing it?
Yes. For the equivalent of $US90 pa, I can install Office on 5 PC's. I use all 5 licences on various computers.
...because on the leased version, you don't have a place to keep that for each app.
On the PC I am using, as you'd expect, it changes the setting on all individual apps. When I get the chance, I'll check some of the other PCs to see if your hypothesis is right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom