Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Debates

Old 07-04-2016, 08:49 AM   #31
Rx_
Nothing In Moderation

Rx_ has a spectacular aura about Rx_ has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: Should there be the death penalty?

It is easy to miss the point when only focusing on one single element.
http://www.fathermag.com/news/2778-stats.shtml
Part of my Technical Education degree included summer sessions with teachers for inmates. There is one major element that has persisted over 50 years.
With more homes raising children without fathers, the number of prisoners has risen.
In this politically correct world, we are not permitted to look at the facts. So, we make up other excuses.
If anyone spent any time in a prison (hopefully to serve the community), they would quickly understand the relationship. If this was purely race based, why do some minorities not have representation in this population? It is more of a cultural element than it is a genetic element.

A study of 404,638 prisoners released:
Justice, fairness and due process is important. Statistics indicate behavior.
Recidivism is measured by criminal acts that resulted in rearrest, reconviction or return to prison with or without a new sentence during a three-year period following the prisoner's release.
- Within three years of release, about two-thirds (67.8 percent) of released prisoners were rearrested.
- Within five years of release, about three-quarters (76.6 percent) of released prisoners were rearrested.
- Of those prisoners who were rearrested, more than half (56.7 percent) were arrested by the end of the first year.

The increase in violent crimes is directly related to the release of violent criminals. Setting quotas by race instead of by behavior is not a solution.

An ancient system that seemed to work provided an alternative from the government right to execute.
The right of asylum according to the Council of Orleans in 511, in the presence of Clovis I, asylum was granted to anyone who took refuge in a church, in its dependences, or in the house of a bishop. This protection was given to murderers and thieves. Even in the UK, by the Norman era after 1066, there had evolved two kinds of sanctuary licensed by the King.
This concept was based on Greek, Egyptian, and biblical times in many parts of the world over huge periods of time.
Basically a convicted person could stay in the church. There were conditions of work to help the poor, sick or others in need.
Instead of the State executing someone, they had an option to stay in the boundaries of an estate to assist the public good.
Those who chose to leave and go outside the boundaries were not protected under the law. Bounty hunters or others could hunt them down as an escaped convicted criminal.

Uberize the criminal system? Perhaps this has merit in today's broken system.

Rx_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:01 PM   #32
Alc
Newly Registered User

Alc will become famous soon enough Alc will become famous soon enough
Re: Should there be the death penalty?

To my mind, the death penalty has limited effect as a deterrent. yes, it stops those offenders from reoffending, but that's all. If you don't believe in an afterlife, it really is just an end to all suffering.

I'd much rather have anyone who would have been sentenced to death perform some necessary but unenviable task to help society. For example, working with sewage. This way, they 'pay' for their keep, they suffer for far longer than if they were just killed and it removes the worry of an innocent person being put to death only to have it turn out that they were not guilty.
Alc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #33
The_Doc_Man
AWF VIP

The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all

Well, to be technical, the death penalty exists in Nature. Waddle your fat arse in front of a hungry predator. THAT will teach you to be disrespectful to Mother Nature!

(The "fat arse" comment was NOT directed to a specific person - and certainly not at Alc, the previous poster.)

Old 01-25-2017, 08:44 AM   #34
Vassago
Administrator

Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about

That's not a death penalty. If it's a hungry predator, it's survival. Even if the predator attacked due to provocation and not hunger, it's still not a death penalty. Thankfully, we are not animals and have the ability to use rational thought. We can determine if something waddling their fat arse in front of us is a threat much better than the "lesser" life on Earth.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:53 PM   #35
The_Doc_Man
AWF VIP

The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all

But then again, there ARE the "Darwin Awards" - noted for people who commit the ultimate transgression - doing anything dangerous (not limited to driving) while stupid.

Just the other day I saw a video on someone who tried to rob a Gun and Pawn shop in Georgia. It SAYS on the store sign, this is a place that has guns. Did he honestly think that the store personnel would NOT be carrying? Two 9 mm slugs answered that for him. Comments were disabled on the video or I would have nominated him for a "true" Darwin Award.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #36
Vassago
Administrator

Yes! Survival of the fittest, for sure.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:08 PM   #37
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,223 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx_ View Post
There is one major element that has persisted over 50 years.
With more homes raising children without fathers, the number of prisoners has risen.
In this politically correct world, we are not permitted to look at the facts. So, we make up other excuses.
Correlation does not show causation.

The number of homes without fathers has risen over the past fifty years for several reasons. Women now have a choice. Babies are no longer abducted from single mothers by hospitals run by religious institutions. Our society no longer condemns single mothers to destitution.

Meanwhile prisoner number have risen largely due to policies that criminalise recreational drug use.

Sociological research has shown that children of single parent households are no more likely to have problems than those with two parents. Indeed the main issues they face is prejudice from ignorant bigots who try to interpret statistics to back their religious preconceptions.

Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galaxiom For This Useful Post:
Vassago (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #38
Vassago
Administrator

In other news, people who wear sneakers are more likely to commit murder. It has been found that most murderers wear sneakers during their crimes. We must ban sneakers to prevent the spread of murder.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:53 AM   #39
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough

Over the last 50 years, the number of children being raised without fathers in the home has raised dramatically.

Over the last 50 years, the number of people voting has increased dramatically, nearly doubling.

Over the last 50 years, the number of millionaires has increased dramatically.

Obviously, being raised by a single mother increases both likelihood of voting and career income.

Those make just as much logical sense as RX_'s statistics and conclusion.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them." -Galileo Galilei
Frothingslosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:45 AM   #40
The_Doc_Man
AWF VIP

I certainly believe that we need to be able to say, "This person is very much like a cancer in our society and must be permanently removed." I also believe that some people, no matter how hard we try, are just uncorrectable. I blame liberals for the trend of "Oh, no, we must not punish a child because that teaches the wrong message, justification of violence." I would never say that you should beat a child bloody and crippled, but careful application of a memorable punishment might sometimes help.

Now, the pragmatic side... unfortunately we don't come with a user's manual when we are born so parents don't always know how to reach the correct level of punishment for a naughty child. Therefore the dilemma is a need to punish but a lack of knowledge as to how much punishment is "correct." We ALSO don't know how to read minds and determine that a given person is a true and unchangeable sociopath for whom summary execution is the only real solution.

I still feel that when the evidence is irrefutable and there is no way that the person should ever be allowed in society, we should give them the option to have a really nice meal, watch their favorite movie, then sedate them fully and harvest ALL of their organs including their still-beating heart. And if they don't choose that option, they deserve the old punishment known as the oubliette, a place in which (as the name suggests in French) they would be forgotten.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: