Go Back   Access World Forums > Apps and Windows > Windows

Old 06-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #1
Brianwarnock
Retired

Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light
Windows 10

Windows 10 is available as a free download on July 29th to those on Windows 8.1, does anybody have any views on moving to 10, would it be a bit reckless or a good idea?

Brian

I do not have Access these days 2015
Brianwarnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 3,586 Times in 3,530 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold
Re: Windows 10

My Win 7 Home machine is telling me I can upgrade as well. I'll probably put it on a VM and test first, but I have heard good things about 10. It fits the pattern too, as it seems every other Windows version is bleh. I'm not alone in having skipped ME, Vista and 8 (I buy and support for my employer).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
burrina
Newly Registered User

burrina will become famous soon enough

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated !

Old 08-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #4
grahamvb
Newly Registered User

grahamvb is on a distinguished road

I have been using Windows 7 and Access 2013. I just updated a test machine and all went well until I tried to run some of my custom Access applications. Still with Access 2013 now on Windows 10. I am not sure why just yet but some commands like "DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord" are not available. Also, when using the "Microsoft XML, v6.0" library, variable dimensioning fails ie; "Dim objXMLHTTP As MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP"

Anybody else having issues, or solutions, in Windows 10?

Last edited by grahamvb; 08-08-2015 at 12:37 PM.
grahamvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:27 AM   #5
enriquegill012
Newly Registered User

enriquegill012 is on a distinguished road

I love Windows 10! So far I don't have any problems or issues with it. Windows 8 is the worst Microsoft has ever produced.
enriquegill012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:40 AM   #6
Trevor G
AWF - Happy to help

Trevor G will become famous soon enough Trevor G will become famous soon enough

Please be aware Microsoft have Auto Updates plugged into Windows 10 so you can be working on something and it Auto Updates without you knowing and then reboots. At work this can be annoying and if like me training people it disrupts the session. My only option I found to do something about this is to use the System Files to switch Auto Update off you don't get the normal Control Panel setting.
Please remember everyone here is a volunteer, so if you have had a reply to your thread be courteous and acknowledge this.
Trevor G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #7
robert_mann
Newly Registered User

robert_mann is on a distinguished road

Yes, I am a happy windows 10 user. So smooth and fast. And the windows defender is awesome. It will try not to pass any malware or virus in your PC.

robert_mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #8
The_Doc_Man
AWF VIP

The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all

Just found this article on-line that tells you yet ANOTHER reason why Win10 ain't such a perfect product.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/fix-window...181709439.html

What I take from the article is that even if you had a perfectly valid specific driver for your specific device from a specific vendor, this little "gotcha" from MS would wipe out your driver in favor of a less specific generic driver - which is why they need the "hack" on their own drivers. Every time I turn around I see one more reason why Win10 is not coming in this house until they've got this stupidity under control. And right now, a hack like this one tells me it ISN'T under control.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:01 AM   #9
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster will become famous soon enough AccessBlaster will become famous soon enough

Are you able to use the SSD in your old system? If so, back it up first.

Then I would use a thumb drive to make a media creation tool using the original laptop. If you own a legit copy of Win10 I believe you can transfer it and the SSD using the "media creation tool" to the new system.

There is an update to Win10, but I would use the second option and just use the tool, then upgrade later if you wish.

AccessBlaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: