Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 09-13-2017, 05:31 AM   #1
Lochwood
Newly Registered User

Lochwood is on a distinguished road
Counting Row Values

Ok, i am trying to count the values of field Activity which is a numeric field in 10 rows/records. i can use the totals command in the query that lets me choose the field and it counts up perfect on datasheet view. The issue i have is i cannot get this total onto a report as it doesn't show available to add when i add existing field.

What a i doing wrong?

Lochwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:34 AM   #2
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,237 Times in 1,210 Posts
Minty will become famous soon enough Minty will become famous soon enough
Re: Counting Row Values

Can you show us your SQL query ?

(Please use the scales on the left if we have helped!) Mark threads as Solved once you have an answer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:36 AM   #3
Lochwood
Newly Registered User

SELECT Sources.Source_ID, Sources.Serial_Number, Sources.Date_Of_Receipt, Sources.Form, Sources.Nuclide, Sources.Activity, Assets.Asset_Description, Sources.Reference_Date, Sources.Estimated_Activity_On_Receipt, Sources.Active_Dimensions, Sources.Overall_Dimensions, Sources.Description, Sources.Last_Test_Date, Sources.Test_Validity_Months, Sources.Risk_Assessment, Sources.Current_Location, Sources.Disposal_Date, Sources.How_Disposed
FROM Sources INNER JOIN Assets ON Sources.Serial_Number = Assets.Asset_Serial_Number
GROUP BY Sources.Source_ID, Sources.Serial_Number, Sources.Date_Of_Receipt, Sources.Form, Sources.Nuclide, Sources.Activity, Assets.Asset_Description, Sources.Reference_Date, Sources.Estimated_Activity_On_Receipt, Sources.Active_Dimensions, Sources.Overall_Dimensions, Sources.Description, Sources.Last_Test_Date, Sources.Test_Validity_Months, Sources.Risk_Assessment, Sources.Current_Location, Sources.Disposal_Date, Sources.How_Disposed;

Old 09-13-2017, 05:44 AM   #4
Minty
AWF VIP

Okay - try adding the sum to your select and then it will become a field you can display

Code:
SELECT Sources.Source_ID, Sources.Serial_Number, Sources.Date_Of_Receipt, Sources.Form, Sources.Nuclide, Sources.Activity, Assets.Asset_Description, Sources.Reference_Date, Sources.Estimated_Activity_On_Receipt, Sources.Active_Dimensions, Sources.Overall_Dimensions, Sources.Description, Sources.Last_Test_Date, Sources.Test_Validity_Months, Sources.Risk_Assessment, Sources.Current_Location, Sources.Disposal_Date, Sources.How_Disposed, Sum(Sources.Activity) as TotalActivity
FROM Sources INNER JOIN Assets ON Sources.Serial_Number = Assets.Asset_Serial_Number
GROUP BY Sources.Source_ID, Sources.Serial_Number, Sources.Date_Of_Receipt, Sources.Form, Sources.Nuclide, Sources.Activity, Assets.Asset_Description, Sources.Reference_Date, Sources.Estimated_Activity_On_Receipt, Sources.Active_Dimensions, Sources.Overall_Dimensions, Sources.Description, Sources.Last_Test_Date, Sources.Test_Validity_Months, Sources.Risk_Assessment, Sources.Current_Location, Sources.Disposal_Date, Sources.How_Disposed;

(Please use the scales on the left if we have helped!) Mark threads as Solved once you have an answer.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:57 AM   #5
Lochwood
Newly Registered User

Yeh tried this bit it wont accept the code. see image,of what query looks like in data view.

Capture.PNG
Old 09-13-2017, 06:03 AM   #6
arnelgp
Newly Registered User

Thanked 1,507 Times in 1,434 Posts
arnelgp has a spectacular aura about arnelgp has a spectacular aura about arnelgp has a spectacular aura about

I think he want to Count
Old 09-13-2017, 06:04 AM   #7
Minty
AWF VIP

That is a Access total row, not a field.
It's a nice display function they provide that provides no help for you in real form design unfortunately.

I can't remember what setting turns that on and off as I never use it...

Old 09-13-2017, 08:02 AM   #8
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough

You said this is for a report in the first post. Do you mean an actual report object?

If yes, then what you really want is the Group and Sort feature in the report's design screen. It should be in your Design tab in the ribbon when you're in design mode, and it will open up a 'Group, Sort, and Total' window at the bottom of your screen.

That will let you, well, group and sort and automatically add totals to the bottom of any group. (You can also create the totals by hand - they're just a textbox whose control source is something along the line of '=Sum([FieldToBeSummed]).)
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them." -Galileo Galilei
Frothingslosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frothingslosh For This Useful Post:
Lochwood (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 02:43 AM   #9
Lochwood
Newly Registered User

Frothingslosh That worked a treat thanks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: