Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 11-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #1
b13
Newly Registered User

b13 is on a distinguished road
Grand Total shows #error

Hello,

This is my first post..so forgive any mistakes.

I have a continuous form which totals four fields in a single record (in an unbound text box)but when I tried to grand total for whole form in the form footer it shows #error. I have tried couple of methods but none of them works.
I really need help on this.

I tried like this:
=Sum(Nz([Price-A1],0)+Nz([Price-A2],0)+Nz([Price-A3],0)+Nz([Price-A4],0))

Price-A1 to A4 are the 4 fields. I have also included images.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture2.JPG (89.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (87.5 KB, 10 views)

b13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #2
theDBguy
I’m here to help

Thanked 1,437 Times in 1,418 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Grand Total shows #error

Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Just curious, can you please verify if you do or don't have any null values in any of those fields? Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #3
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,511 Times in 1,424 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

Try this:
Code:
=Sum(Nz([Price-A1],0))+Sum(Nz([Price-A2],0))+Sum(Nz([Price-A3],0))+Sum(Nz([Price-A4],0))

Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
Micron
AWF VIP

Micron has a spectacular aura about Micron has a spectacular aura about

If post 3 doesn't work then consider this: AFAIK, you cannot sum over the controls themselves, you must sum over the fields they are bound to. e.g. if your textbox is named txtNum and is bound to myField then you must sum over myField, not txtNum. In your pic, it seems that the fields and controls have the same name - something I do not do for other reasons. Perhaps I can add this one to my list; i.e. the expression is ambiguous as a result.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #5
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micron View Post
In your pic, it seems that the fields and controls have the same name - something I do not do for other reasons. Perhaps I can add this one to my list; i.e. the expression is ambiguous as a result.
AFAIK The Sum() function always refers to fields so there should be no ambiguity.

When an expression could refer to either where fields and controls have the same name, Access defaults to the Controls Collection. I've never bothered to use different names of the controls and never had a problem.

On the very rare occasions where I do need to refer to a field rather than a control I use:

Code:
Me.Recordset.fieldname
It isn't necessary but the complimentary expression can be used for the control if desiring to be explicit:
Code:
Me.Controls.controlname
Old 11-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #6
Micron
AWF VIP

Micron has a spectacular aura about Micron has a spectacular aura about

In a test form, this works
=Sum([chkyes]+[dsid])

this results in #Error
=Sum([Check32] + [dsid])

I once got the error "Ambiguous name detected" IIRC and identical names was the reason. I realize this is usually a compile error when there are 2 procedures with the same name. Anyway, it was a long time ago. For now, all I can be sure of is what I posted about the 2 examples in this post.

EDIT
the issue with the above seems to be that the control name is Check32, not [Check32]. Access seems insistent on adding the [] around the control name.

Last edited by Micron; 11-12-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:01 PM   #7
June7
AWF VIP

June7 will become famous soon enough June7 will become famous soon enough

OP's original expression works for me even with Detail section textbox and field having same name.

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.

June7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:46 PM   #8
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about

Sometimes you need to hide a control if you want the results displayed in a particular place.
Just a thought.

Last edited by AccessBlaster; 11-13-2019 at 05:55 AM.
AccessBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:11 AM   #9
b13
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDBguy View Post
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Just curious, can you please verify if you do or don't have any null values in any of those fields? Thanks!

I have some null values in those fields.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:11 AM   #10
b13
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxiom View Post
Try this:
Code:
=Sum(Nz([Price-A1],0))+Sum(Nz([Price-A2],0))+Sum(Nz([Price-A3],0))+Sum(Nz([Price-A4],0))

I have tried it but doesn't work.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:13 AM   #11
theDBguy
I’m here to help

Thanked 1,437 Times in 1,418 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by b13 View Post
I have some null values in those fields.
Hi. Thanks for responding. Just for fun, try entering a value, such as 0, into those null fields, so that you don't have any more null fields and see if the total shows up. You can try this out on a test copy of your db first.

|
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:09 PM   #12
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by b13 View Post
I have tried it but doesn't work.
You need to post a small sample database so we can see what you actually have.

Novices almost invariably confuse "fields" (in the recordset) and "controls" (textboxes etc) in their questions and in this case that definitely makes understanding the problem difficult.

The crux of it is what Micron said. The Sum() can only be applied to fields in the recordset. It cannot apply to controls on the form.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: